View Single Post
Old 09-18-2016, 11:33 PM   #74 (permalink)
Daschicken
EcoModding flying lizard

Cibbie - '88 Honda CBR 250R
Motorcycle
90 day: 48.49 mpg (US)

Rarity - '06 Honda Accord EX V6
Team Honda
90 day: 29.88 mpg (US)

Baby viff - '86 Honda VFR 400R
Motorcycle
90 day: 42.15 mpg (US)

Latios - '08 Suzuki SV650SF
Motorcycle
90 day: 64.56 mpg (US)

Mazda 3 - '14 Mazda 3 i Sport
90 day: 43.25 mpg (US)
You're Grounded!

THE ATLANTA GAS CRISIS IS REAL! As I drove to school today, I passed by a gas station that had a full on costco-style line of people waiting to fill up. As I was driving by another station I had a close call with someone who was very indecisive about whether they wanted to enter the gas station or stay on the road. They were going about 5 mph, I was going 30. I have a little less than half a tank, so i'm good for another 200 miles and I don't HAVE TO drive anywhere, so I think i'll survive.

Just a small mod today, I cleaned up two grounding points in the engine bay, shined up the battery terminals, and charged up that pile o' lead.

So I had read that lead is actually a silver color, instead of the usual gray that battery terminals are. That is actually a light coat of corrosion that dulls it. Here is some dead battery I pulled out to experiment on. The terminal on the left was shined up with sandpaper. My car's battery showed similar results.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4578.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	20559

Honda, in their cheapness didn't bother to remove the paint from the grounding points for the negative terminal or the engine ground, so I fixed their mistake.

Name:	IMG_4582.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	20560

For the cables that attached to each of these grounds, I gave them the same treatment.
Before:

Name:	IMG_4583.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	20561
After:

Name:	IMG_4584.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	20562

I finished the job by applying some dielectric grease over the ground points and the newly bare metal, as well as over the top of the battery terminals (not between terminal and cable) to prevent future corrosion.

On the driving side of things, I have been returning low 40s or very high 30s lately, avoiding short trips, and taking cars that are already warmed up. As of lately, I have started taking the bus to the other campus, because there are more people in space than there are parking spots over there. I usually got to the parking garage with 36 mpg, and ended up with 29 by the time I found a spot.

Tank average is currently at 36.4, which will be a new record if I can keep it there, assuming it is accurate.

Best trip in V6: 52.0
Best tank in V6: 46.0
Best tank in Mazda: 49.9
Best tank in CBR: 61.3
Best tank in SV: 83.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
You can lead a fashion-conscious horse to unusual-looking water...