View Single Post
Old 09-23-2016, 06:52 AM   #107 (permalink)
gregsfc
EcoModding Apprentice

The more that we see start ups come in and propose models that blur the lines between motorcycles and cars regarding some of these reverse trikes, especially if they're seen as possible mass market alternatives at affordable prices, the more likely and the quicker NHSTA will come in and redo the classification system and bankrupt all these start ups.

From what I can tell from these pics, Acrimoto and Elio and a few others better hurry up production or just stop now, as gov't regulators may grandfather vehicles already up for sale at the time changes are made, because a reclassification, in my opinion, is just a matter of time. It's already being discussed over at NHSTA. Regulators are not going to allow ever more car like models come to market and garner market share as auto alternatives, using one less wheel as the reasoning for a more lax path to market and undermine the intent of the current regulations regarding highway safety. I'd say that the EPA is also looking hard at what's going on in this area.

If we look at what established manufacturers are doing, they are clearly designing and/or proposing concept reverse trikes that are either much more mc-like with regards to handling, protection, and/or components, or with city-only capabilities, i.e. Toyota, than we're seeing with some of these more alternative transportation choices, but with only three wheels.

The manufacturers pushing for "no helmet" and "no mc license" requirements should rethink those strategies that may end up working against their business plans in the end.