View Single Post
Old 09-23-2016, 07:14 AM   #108 (permalink)
Astro
Dreamer

I think that if an EV had the ability to connect to another EV and transfer some energy at a fast charge rate. Then i think that would go a long way towards removing the range anxiety.
To me the "anxiety" part of it isn't the fear of getting low and having to stop off somewhere and top up. It's the fear of being stranded with an empty tank and no way of solving the problem short of a tow truck.
Now if you knew that even if you ran out or were close to running out that you could ask a friend or family member to meet you and transfer a kW or two to get you to the nearest recharge point. Then that might alleviate some of the fear. You wouldn't be so helpless. There could even be a business opportunity for a mobile charge service.
I mean, who hasn't helped somebody who ran out of petrol? Taken them to the nearest service station so they could buy a few litres and then taken them back to their car. When i have done that it has cost me some minutes out of my day and a few cents in fuel for the round trip to the service station. In return i get to feel like i have done a good deed and the person who ran out of fuel learns to pay attention to the fuel gauge and that there are still some friendly people left in the world.
If the cars were EVs and they had the ability to transfer power between each other it would probably have cost me just as many minutes and just as many cents in fuel.
The Following User Says Thank You to Astro For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (09-25-2016)