View Single Post
Old 09-24-2016, 02:08 PM   #116 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
I think you are wrong about the Elio. They lobbied because they knew they, with their potential volumes, could do it, while other smaller companies could not. It's why Walmart is for an increase in minimum wages. I also think you are wrong about the rules changing. Nobody has mass produced a 3 wheel in all standards, car, in the US. So put 100,000 of them on the road and 2 cute 16 year Olds are going to get massively squashed in one. Then will come the lawsuits, what do you mean it wasn't a car and didn't have to meet crash standards? Then the calls to Congress, you have to do something! Then the politician, if we can save just one child's life..
If Elio really wanted their product to be a car they could throw an axle on the back and 2 wheels. They made it 3 wheels to skirt the rules plain and simple. Heck, as you pointed out, it would sell better as a 4 wheeler and that would add very little cost.
The rules will only change if someone large pays to have them altered.

There are already over 100,000 trikes on the road, kids get squashed everyday. One guy had his kid riding on the handle bars and died, only sympathy came.

In Wisconsin helmets were required due to a lot of deaths.
Cyclist rights folks then came out in mass protesting the law and got it overturned.

Our state after a steady decrease in highway deaths decided to up speed limits to 70 mph to help with sagging road tax revenue.
The roadways with the new limit have had a 35% increase in highway deaths.
The states official response is that in the last year the number of young and elderly drivers has skyrocketed and that they have a 5 year plan to increase speed limits on other highways and secondary roads.

I can go on but the rule of law rarely has to do with safety, this isn't 1950.

You have a right to your opinion but you are naïve if you believe the laws will change proactively.

Also there have been companies who had the ability to mass produce trikes but don't because of simple demand. 3 wheelers don't sell except when catering to a niche, they are produced at high prices in low volume because there isn't enough demand
It is possible people all love 3 wheelers now but I doubt it.

Last edited by rmay635703; 09-24-2016 at 02:30 PM..