View Single Post
Old 09-24-2016, 05:19 PM   #118 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,176 Times in 806 Posts
I don't think the laws will change proactively, I think they will change for the same reason every other law is changed, politics. Also americans accept motorcycles as death traps and there is little sympathy when one is killed even if the cyclist was doing everything right. That said the Elio is not marketing themselves as a motorcycle, and they are going out of their way to talk up saftey. Personally if I was making them the furthest I would take saftey would be to say it's safer then a motorcycle. Anyway, about the laws, lawmakers on tye federal level use any crisis they get to increase regulation and control. Local is often different as they are actually connected to their voters. What the people want the people often get on the local level. On the national level those politicians will use the opportunity to advance laws that pick the winners from those who have supported them with money. So big corporations and unions, both would prefer to curtail any new inexpensive competition in the transportation world. Oil companies don't want to save gas. Unions don't want people moving from public transportation or non-legacy car startups with non-union shops or shops in right to work states. Basically there will be money to leverage a change in the law, they just need a reason which they haven't had.