View Single Post
Old 10-04-2016, 11:05 AM   #107 (permalink)
kameleon
EcoModding Lurker

I just picked up the swap this past weekend. Alas the car has been without an engine for at least 8 years. I worked up the swap path 16v largeport 4age (stock), 20v silvertop 4age, 20v blacktop 4age, and had everything I needed to do the 3sge BEAMS swap but ended up selling the whole car a few years ago. A really great friend of mine ended up buying the car shell back as my brother had already bought the beams swap, and gave the car back to me about a year ago. Now I am finally getting to where I can work on it and have time to do so. The last engine I had running in the car was the 4age 20v blacktop and I got around 30mpg if I took it easy and didn't get up in the power band.

In looking for an engine for the car I ended up with another mr2 (87 in this case) with a fully stock 4age in it I was going to swap over. However it had a blown head gasket so I had emailed my friend mr220v asking about possible engine swaps if the 4age turned out being too costly to fix. He told me about the 1nz(x)fe swap and the rest is history.

I could slap the engine in the car right now but I want to take my time and clean everything and double check stuff that has been sitting for 8+ years. The fuel tank and cooling system will need thoroughly cleaned at a minimum.