Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2015, 06:33 AM   #101 (permalink)
Volvo-driving MachYeen

Neo Volvo - '98 Volvo S70 10V
90 day: 24.98 mpg (US)
Would be cool. I need a longer geared box tho. Any carina gear box should fit

With Volvo to Valhalla and back!
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-29-2015, 02:21 AM   #102 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
Just curious if this project is still on the road, also wondering if anyone has ever made drawings of the various XMSN mounting patterns from various ECO cars, I have often figured it would be worthwhile to encourage more swappers
What's XMSN? Since you're talking about swaps I imagine it has something to do with mounting lol.

I believe I mentioned this 2 years ago or something but someone had swapped a 1NZ-FE into an MR2 Spyder with a C60 transmission swapped over. He said he was getting mid 40s mpg vs. high 30s on the 1ZZ. However, he had to make an adapter plate, and then cut away at some metal to allow the starter motor to fit. The stock 1ZZ ECU ran the 1NZ just fine when equipped with the original sensors (MAF) and injectors. To compensate for power he added a pretty big turbo and apparently it was more reliable than the 1ZZ at equivalent power levels and overrevving to 8000rpm stock.

The other good thing about this swap is that the NZ is quite the featherweight at ~190lbs with all dressings, fluids, etc.

If 2ZZ-GE swaps weren't so easy (you can make them pretty eco by regrinding the low rpm cam to a super long duration), I would strongly consider transplanting Prius cams into a built 1NZ bottom end for a high rpm screamer that gets great mpg during typical driving. Remember, "Atkinson cycle" cams and high rpm power cams are very similar!
Old 04-24-2015, 01:30 PM   #103 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,586 Times in 1,554 Posts
This project came to mind today. Any updates on it?
Old 05-03-2015, 10:21 PM   #104 (permalink)
In Lean Burn Mode

MisFit Talon - '91 Eagle Talon TSi
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 39.03 mpg (US)

Warlock - '71 Chevy Camaro

Fe Eclipse - '97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
Its been a while. He hasn't had a update since November 2013???

Old 10-04-2016, 10:05 AM   #105 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

So glad I found this thread. I am now the owner of this swap. Mr220v had sold the car and had the swap sitting around for a while so I picked it up. It will be going into my 85 MR2. The plan is to grab some Toyota Echo or Scion xA cams from a 1nzfe and drop in the engine to replace the Prius ones. This should give me the 13:1 CR and around 150hp. Performance should be about that of a silvertop 20v 4age but with fuel economy around high 30's to low 40's. At least that is what I am shooting for. I will try to keep ya'll up to date on this as I progress.
The Following User Says Thank You to kameleon For This Useful Post:
MetroMPG (10-04-2016)
Old 10-04-2016, 10:30 AM   #106 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
Welcome aboard!

Yes, please keep us posted.

Have you started the swap? A before/after MPG story would be interesting.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 10-04-2016, 11:05 AM   #107 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I just picked up the swap this past weekend. Alas the car has been without an engine for at least 8 years. I worked up the swap path 16v largeport 4age (stock), 20v silvertop 4age, 20v blacktop 4age, and had everything I needed to do the 3sge BEAMS swap but ended up selling the whole car a few years ago. A really great friend of mine ended up buying the car shell back as my brother had already bought the beams swap, and gave the car back to me about a year ago. Now I am finally getting to where I can work on it and have time to do so. The last engine I had running in the car was the 4age 20v blacktop and I got around 30mpg if I took it easy and didn't get up in the power band.

In looking for an engine for the car I ended up with another mr2 (87 in this case) with a fully stock 4age in it I was going to swap over. However it had a blown head gasket so I had emailed my friend mr220v asking about possible engine swaps if the 4age turned out being too costly to fix. He told me about the 1nz(x)fe swap and the rest is history.

I could slap the engine in the car right now but I want to take my time and clean everything and double check stuff that has been sitting for 8+ years. The fuel tank and cooling system will need thoroughly cleaned at a minimum.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:42 PM   #108 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kameleon View Post
This should give me the 13:1 CR and around 150hp. Performance should be about that of a silvertop 20v 4age
That is great to get another MK1 Mr2 back on the road. Would you mind posting up where you get the 150hp motor power projections from? I am definitely interested as I just picked up an 89 mr2.

Thanks,
John
Old 10-04-2016, 10:34 PM   #109 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

This post over on prius chat is where I got the figures: *EDIT* I can't post links yet so here is what the post said

Quote:
This is where the cams come in. By running standard cams, and not the ultra long duration intake cam that the prius uses, you will increase actual compression to the 13:1 that the motor actually is. Will you get 55MPG? Probably not, because you just got rid of one of the main reasons why the Prius does get that. Could you get 45MPG? I would think you could, but with an added bonus. A 13:1 compression 1.5L motor running on E85 would probably be putting out over 150hp, making the combined output of over 200hp from the Prius, but still maintain 40-45MPG, AND eco friendly!!!!
They were talking about putting the 1nzfe cams from a yaris/echo/xA/xB in a prius and running E85 with 25% larger injectors.

Now that is figuring with E85 and 25% larger injectors but in all honesty running 93 octane on E10 (what I have easily available) and the 13:1 compression ratio it should be very close if not over.

I will have to do a custom exhaust manifold as the one that mr220v had on this swap was lost at some point. I will probably do a custom 4 to 1 pipe just for simplicity. I am probably going to keep a work log on everything over on my website so it will be a central place for all the info. After all is said and done I hope to be able to have a parts list of what is needed so you can do it yourself along with pre-made kits to buy just like our 20v swap kits and such for those that would rather not source everything themselves.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:00 PM   #110 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks for posting that.

Reply  Post New Thread