View Single Post
Old 10-05-2016, 10:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
LittleBlackDuck
EcoModding Apprentice

CT - '11 Lexus CT200h Luxury
Quote:
Originally Posted by sameb View Post
What engine damage am I risking?

So far I don't think I'm getting lowered efficiency. The drop in fuel mileage is consistent with the change in stoich ratios.

I do have a megasquirt 3. I soldered it all together and made a harness. I did most of the sensor calibrations then I lost some data. It turned in to too much trouble. If you think what I'm doing now is hazardous I guess I'll have to get the MS going. I figured it would take so much work to get it running as good as stock.

The car has been starting right away after the second pass, ie, I crank the engine for about 3 sec, then let it rest, then it starts normally during the second round of cranking.
Running the motor lean and with incorrect (too low) advance risks significantly elevated exhaust temperatures that may burn exhaust valves. This is partly due to the slower burn rate of the alcohol. The lower advance will reduce power output and efficiency.

Have a look at pcmhacking.net - they have modded the Delco ECU to be real time programmable and there are lots of threads on using E85, albeit on Holden engines.

Simon