View Single Post
Old 10-07-2016, 12:43 PM   #158 (permalink)
NeilBlanchard
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Nope, all those superchargers are evidence that the current crop of EVs are being sold to people who mostly don't care about charging losses or long-term battery life. Why else all the hype about wireless charging?
Look - quick charging does not noticeably harm the battery. Tesla's Supercharger system is their own, and battery degradation is NOT an issue with their battery. The only battery degradation issue I know of, is with early Nissan Leaf (up to mid 2014) and it is not because of CHAdeMO charging - but with high air temperatures in general.

What "hype" about wireless charging are you referring to? No one I know who drives and EV even wants that - it is a meaningless "solution" in search of a problem.

And what does wireless charging have to do with battery degradation and/or quick charging? I fail to see why you brought it up.

Quote:
No, I'm comparing vehicles I could buy now, that would meet my need for a roughly 200 mile range. The ability to fit 7 people in a Tesla is not a plus to me*, because I only rarely have even one other person riding with me - and observation suggests that this is in fact the norm.

(*In fact it's a negative, since I don't want to drive something that big.)
You keep reminding us that you need the range tat we will be getting in about 2 months, with the Chevy Bolt EV. We've got it.

I agree with you that the Model S is too big, for I want, as well.

Quote:
Circular argument. EVs are charged at home because the people who have them are mostly the ones who don't need more range than they get on a single charge. Which is great for them, not so great for those who need more range.
EV's can work for a vast majority of people - and quick charging is NOT required very often. Quick chargers will allow EVEN MORE people to drive and EV.

Quote:
No, that's NOT what it means in the context of this discussion. It means that the EV will not have the range (with reasonable reserve) that meets a potential buyer's needs..
If you can't drive an EV because they don't meet your needs - and you are NOT DRIVING an EV - then that is NOT "range anxiety".

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/