View Single Post
Old 10-10-2016, 04:36 AM   #164 (permalink)
LittleBlackDuck
EcoModding Apprentice

CT - '11 Lexus CT200h Luxury
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmeat View Post
I got over my EV range anxiety by going with a used Chevy Volt. I was already a Hybrid owner, and looking to drop my gas usage to zero, but I was pretty timid about jumping into a full EV.

After researching many cars, I chose the Volt because it fits my personal daily driving circumstances perfectly (and the price was right): I plug it in at night and on my daily commute of 38 miles I use no gas at all, but if I decided to drive it to the Keys that's not a problem! It gets so-so gas mileage when using the ICE to power it, but those times will be few and far between
Agreed. You are lucky that longer range hybrids are becoming more affordable in the USA. Downunder is way behind in that area - there are only a couple of hybrids outside the Toyota / Lexus range that are available, and most of them are mediocre to say the least. There are a few Honda Civic hybrids too, but nothing affordable in the EV or PHEV space (BMW etc) or worth driving (Mitsubishi Outlander). The Holden Volt is $60k+ which makes it unattractive.

My use case includes a daily commute of 15km each way plus regular drives ranging from 75km to 350km if I take into account charging opportunities, and this pretty much rules out most of the options. I regard the Toyota / Lexus hybrids as having the best overall efficiency until a longer range hybrid or EV becomes available.

Simon