View Single Post
Old 10-11-2016, 11:30 AM   #167 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,069 Times in 1,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Which is exactly what I do drive (mostly), and have done since IIRC 2003. While I haven't seen any detailed analysis, I'm fairly sure that most of the current crop of EVs actually use more energy to get from A to B than the Insight does. (And that's even ignoring the use of 'Ludicrous Mode'.)
Your Insight does not get better mileage than any EV on the market. The least efficient EV on the market is the Mercedes B-Class that gets 84 mpge combined. The most efficient is the BMW I3 at 124 mpge. No, that does not include generation just as your mpg does not include the energy required to produce gasoline and transport it to a gas station near you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Sure, because you are talking about multiple people sharing cars/vehicles, which clouds the essentials of their use. In your married couple example, you'd need two EVs for daily commuting, plus one vehicle for longer trips, so there's 1/2 an additional vehicle & costs per person.
The logical and economical solution would be for one person to drive and EV and the other a fuel efficient ICE car. That is what my wife and I do. I have a Spark EV, she has a Prius. If we need to drive a long distance we drive the Prius. My car takes me to work every day and takes us around town.

If we were buying an ICE car today it would likely be a Prius Prime for $23,000. It goes 22 miles in EV mode which would cover my wife's commute and still gets 50 mpg on the highway.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
NeilBlanchard (10-11-2016), rmay635703 (10-11-2016)