View Single Post
Old 10-15-2016, 03:41 PM   #137 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
update

* 'completed the foam for 'baby's' main upper body and stinger.I made a pass across the big ridges with the blades of a coping saw,back saw, and carpenters saw.Then went over that with a sanding long-board of 36-grit paper,and Stanley Surform hand plane.
*These,along with the wheel fairings are ready for resin.
*Then I'll follow with body filler.
*Since she's non-structural,I don't see a need for glass,plus I'm already at the net outside dimensions; although a good bump would shatter the surface.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
*The 2014 boat tail is now demolished,but I was able to harvest its rear transom, with the complete lighting package and integrate it into the new boat tail's steel skeleton.
*Once fastened,I can begin adding foam board to the skeleton to create it's 'surface,' plus I'll have something to attach the pogo to.
* I will do a single layer of glass on all of this,as it will be stressed during use.
* This new tail must have a trap door in it's floor (diffuser),plus a top hatch to allow me to crawl under it and then stand up inside it,in order to lift it off the swing-mount by myself.This will be handy over the long haul.
*This morning I found an aerodynamic plastic waste basket at the thrift store,for $3,which will help me develop the faux 5th-wheel and wheel fairing to add to Spirit's stinger for a BamZipPow-esque ,simulated 1-wheel trailer' trailer wheel.(I've been curious about these trailers and this will allow me to simulate a full-gap-sealed,fully-boat-tailed 1-wheel trailer at DARKO)
I made a few new photos,and have the camera with me in case Al has time to help me post them.
Yesterday was the first time I was able to view the 'template' in real life,sans wheel fairings.
NOTE: I did a Richard von Mises,'reflexed' tail on 'baby's stinger,which I didn't originally consider.I figured that an actual road-going version of this form would need some width at the rear transom,and some facility for mounting taillights and rear license plate.I've no idea what it will do to the airflow,but it should be contained within Morelli's 'fluid tail'/phantom tail region,so I don't think it will make that much difference.
BamZipPow (10-15-2016), skyking (10-15-2016)