View Single Post
Old 10-16-2016, 09:22 AM   #181 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foot to the floor View Post
I have owned a cali VX for three years. I have been extremely happy driving it living at 1400' and driving it to 6000' elevation where I work averaging around 43mpg. I let a friend borrow the VX and the water pump seized blowing the motor. (friend held it to the floor for about 5 minuets in first gear red line having a mental breakdown) I have read somewhere that a D16Y5 motor will mount right to the trans and is plug and play for a swap getting close to the same mpg. My question is can you drop a 2005 civic HX D17A6 into a VX with the same ease. Would love to have more power with the same-ish gas mileage. Really hope it is possible due to the cost of rebuilding the D15Z1 as opposed to having more power with the high geared vx trans.
I agree that such swaps would be fun, and there are guys out there who have apparently done them. But unfortunately the 7th Gen engines are more difficult to mount to the 5th/6th gen transmissions because of shifter linkage changes and the 2001-2005 addition of an immobilizer as a security feature. It can be done. But apparently it's a little harder.

More info on swaps: http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post378478

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Last edited by California98Civic; 10-16-2016 at 09:23 AM.. Reason: typos