View Single Post
Old 10-18-2016, 04:41 PM   #20 (permalink)
Cowcharge
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
Don't get that inverter it's junk.
You do not want to used a modified sine wave inverter on pretty much anything.
You may want to consider AGM batteries too. They can be charged a lot faster than traditional deep cycle flooded lead acid and they resist vibration better than flooded.
I know how those rougha one roads are. I just spent 2 weeks there last month.

Just wondering, but do you really need the 45 amp controller?

Also you should consider a MPPT charger controler. Solar panels on vehicles tend to produce a fraction of rated power. An MPPT controller maximizes the power you can get from them.

Got any evidence to support your claim that Krieger inverters are "junk"? Because I already bought two of them, and the 1100-watt has been working fine for months.

I've been running modified wave inverters for a good five years now, and have yet to find anything that wouldn't run on them, including desktops, laptops, TVs and monitors both flat screen and CRT, refrigerators, shop vacs, and power tools. Of course if you'd like to buy a 2000-watt pure sine wave inverter and send it to me, I'll be happy to give it a try.

AGM batteries aren't worth all the extra money unless you're forced to use them because you're putting them in an airplane or are extremely limited in installation attitude. They can't be charged as fast as wet batteries because they must be charged at a lower voltage to prevent over-gassing and thermal damage. They have less capacity per pound. They cannot be maintained. And you can never get a true measure of their state of charge because you have no access to the electrolyte to use a hydrometer.

As for vibration, I rubber-mount everything to do with electronics to absorb it.

Watts = Amps x Volts. 620 watts solar / 14.8 volts charging = 41.9 Amps. Yes, I do really need a 45-amp charge controller. Two of them, in fact.

As for MPPT controllers, they're not worth the money on 12v panels just to get maybe an extra 5-10%. And solar panels on vehicles work just fine, assuming they're installed correctly.

Thanks for the advice, but my system design was carefully thought-out long before I started posting here.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cowcharge For This Useful Post:
aerohead (10-22-2016)