View Single Post
Old 10-30-2016, 01:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
e*clipse
Permanent Apprentice

I won't be able to say anything more, as I am currently picking up the car.

The "theories" were based on statements made by folks who actually did plug the scanners in. The "theory" was posted by a real engineer who actually developed the system. I'm not sure one can get more real than that.

You have no idea what scanner I possess.

If you're willing to brick a car based on your unrealated "experience" with your pickup, have fun!!!

Having to drag a car 100 miles to the nearest tech who can fix my problem and then pay $500 for the favor is not my idea of fun.

I have used several scanners, for communication with a VW diesel, a Toyota V6, and my Honda Insight. They worked fine for everything but the VW diesel. Fortunately, they didn't cause problems with the VW. That is a perfect example of what I am attempting to say here - one should be able to plug in a generic scanner and NOT damage the system.

The suggestion of obtaining a good CAN sniffer is definitely a good idea. It's going to require a lot of backing out what the CAN codes actually mean.

- E*clipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
end of world life threatening theories abound. ignore them especially if they are internet derived.

mostly I believe you have a propriety can bus communication system that does not pass all millions of sensor data to the el cheapo scanner you possess. Heck, my 2000 F250 has 497 sensors that only a dedicated ford diesel scanner will detect. No doubt chrysler has the same style of implementation. your honda (slur intended) based scanner just is talking in pigdin while the car is full oxford english.

get a decent ELM 327 obd dongle and a decent CAN sniffer application. I like and use Torque for OBD2, I don't have anything CAN, yet.