View Single Post
Old 11-08-2016, 09:35 AM   #117 (permalink)
elhigh
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 50.48 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zackary View Post
Now it wouldn't make sense to get to carried away with a pusher trailer. After all, it would only be for occasional use, and it would only have to put out a near average power.

A 20hp Honda or Kohler V-twin engine chained directly to the wheels would work. The problem I find with such a system are the emissions. The Leaf is considered a zero emissions car (although we know that isn't true.) So it would make sense to me to put on an engine that gets at least ok emissions. Maybe a propane engine with water injection and a catalytic converter would do the trick??
It would be a major headache to implement - maybe do it up similar to how ZipCar does their subscription service? - but a range extending pusher trailer for things like Leafs that could be shared around among the local Leaf community would be smart. That would put the investment to work better.

I don't have an answer for the emissions statements except to recommend the best engine you could possibly install along with the simplest possible drivetrain to minimize losses - chain direct to the drive wheel, I guess. And shape the trailer for whatever aero advantage it could provide.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.