View Single Post
Old 11-10-2016, 12:16 PM   #75 (permalink)
jamesqf
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmeat View Post
I'd let you know when it happens, but you see how I go through cars! I'll have had 12 more cars by then
Well, that's you :-) At the other end, I'm not likely to buy a car that's less than 10 years old, and then will keep it for another 10 if it doesn't break.

But back to the topic of operating costs, I worked out a few rough numbers. I get a bit over 70 mpg in the Insight, and have driven it a bit over 140K miles, or 2000 gallons. Figuring average gas price at $3/gal, that's $6000. Add in 16 oil & filter changes at $25 (expensive 0w20 oil), plus $100 for spark plugs and misc, that's $6500.

So assume I had an EV instead, and after 16 years it's time to replace the battery. Now Google says that a new Nissan Leaf (probably the cheapest EV, no?) battery costs $5499 Nissan Prices LEAF Battery Replacement at $5,499, New Packs More Heat Durable or I can get a larger capacity aftermarket one for $6500 https://cleantechnica.com/2016/01/19...ing-to-48-kwh/

Unless I've overlooked something, this means that unless I'm getting electricity virtually free, my long-term operating costs (fuel & maintenance) are going to be a lot higher.

This isn't even including the fact that the Leaf (even with the extended range battery) simply couldn't make a lot of the trips I needed to make.

OTOH, driving a reasonable hybrid like the Insight cut my fuel use to 1/2 - 1/4 that of the typical US vehicle. It can make the longest trip I want to make - coast to coast if I choose - and is driveable even with a seriously degraded battery. The only penalty (other than having to reset the IMA every week or two) is about a 5 mpg drop in my mostly highway driving. (Would probably be worse in city driving, though.)