View Single Post
Old 11-19-2016, 08:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
elhigh
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 50.48 mpg (US)
One year since my last deep discharge

Last year I was having difficulties with my IMA pack and I attempted to replace it with a used pack from the internet. At $300, I thought I couldn't lose.

I lost. That pack didn't work for me. Never did figure out why but I was able to sell it on to Bumbleebee as a core.

But you guys helped me through cobbling together a deep discharger and I set about the process. It took a while but I pulled the pack to a ridiculously low voltage, gave it a solid grid charge and lo and behold, it worked great.

Last week the IMA light came on again for the first time since that discharge/recharge process.

I have hooked the discharger up. It's taking its own sweet time, I don't have any larger bulbs than a pair of little 30w units that usually go into clip on reading lamps above my bed. Needless to say, the discharging is going very, very slowly. More's the better, though - according to everything I've read these things respond better when you don't rush them.

I'd say that was a success. Going a full year, or nearly so, without having the IMA light come back on and I'm still on the original pack, is excellent.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.

Last edited by elhigh; 11-19-2016 at 08:09 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to elhigh For This Useful Post:
Ecky (11-20-2016)