View Single Post
Old 11-20-2016, 10:34 PM   #197 (permalink)
Isaac Zackary
Full sized hybrid.

Suzy - '13 Toyota Avalon Hybrid XLE
90 day: 37.18 mpg (US)
A trailer in front! Now that would be funny looking! Wouldn't it be called a leader then?

As far as wiring an outlet (or should I say inlet) on the rear of the car to tap into the the battery pack and charge from some sort of generator, second battery or fuel cell, I don't see how that would be a problem. That would probably be easier than putting a trailer on the front and figuring out how to use the CHAdeMO port and communication.

Besides a trailer, maybe holes could be cut in the trunk area for cooling and intake and exhaust and then just put the generator set in the trunk.

But I wonder how the vehicle would react. There seem to have been a few guys who have added battery packs or chargers and connected them in parallel with the battery with no negative consequences.

Still, if I'm using an engine, a pusher trailer makes more sense than a generator trailer.

Vehicle to grid! Vehicle to home! Those are cool ideas! I was thinking for a moment, "hot water heater to vehicle." In other words, run an engine (probably steam engine, off of natural gas) to run a generator and power my home and car and use the waste heat to heat my hot water and my home during the winter.

If there were CHAdeMO chargers in the area that would make EV life easy for those longer trips. But even more level 2 chargers would make all electric much easier to do. If I could get a battery big enough and cheap enough then I wouldn't need to rent a car or make a pusher/generator trailer. I could put a Brusa charger and a J1772 outlet (inlet?) with the battery on a trailer and go!