Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2016, 05:34 PM   #191 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,596 Times in 7,079 Posts
EVTV just expanded their solar installation. The new part isn't grid-tied at all — it's DC from the Sun to the car.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-16-2016, 10:31 PM   #192 (permalink)
Full sized hybrid.

Suzy - '13 Toyota Avalon Hybrid XLE
90 day: 37.18 mpg (US)
How about if I made a fuel cell trailer for the Leaf?

Clear Edge Power Hydrogen Fuel Cell Stack 6 kW / 48V DC Industrial Fuel Cell | eBay
Old 11-17-2016, 06:36 AM   #193 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Honda CBR250R FI Single - '11 Honda CBR250R
90 day: 105.14 mpg (US)

2001 Honda Insight stick - '01 Honda Insight manual
90 day: 60.68 mpg (US)

2009 Honda Fit auto - '09 Honda Fit Auto
90 day: 38.51 mpg (US)

PCX153 - '13 Honda PCX150
90 day: 104.48 mpg (US)

2015 Yamaha R3 - '15 Yamaha R3
90 day: 80.94 mpg (US)

Ninja650 - '19 Kawasaki Ninja 650
90 day: 72.57 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,315 Times in 968 Posts
Open letter to EV manufacturers:
Place the quick charge port on the car in such a way as to allow charging while driving and towing a short single wheeled trailer with gas generator that you offer for sale or rent.
And allow the QC port or trailer to supply emergency or off grid power back to your house.
The Following User Says Thank You to sendler For This Useful Post:
Isaac Zackary (11-17-2016)
Old 11-17-2016, 12:29 PM   #194 (permalink)
Full sized hybrid.

It's finally snowing! Time to see how the Leaf does in the snow!
Old 11-20-2016, 04:26 PM   #195 (permalink)
Two weels Zero sparkplugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
Open letter to EV manufacturers:
Place the quick charge port on the car in such a way as to allow charging while driving and towing a short single wheeled trailer with gas generator that you offer for sale or rent.
And allow the QC port or trailer to supply emergency or off grid power back to your house.
They actually already do, it's called regen and uses the controller.

The Nissan Leaf supports V2G:

With Japan being struck by earthquakes so often it was only logical.
Old 11-20-2016, 05:01 PM   #196 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Maybe the add-on could be a single [castering] wheel trailer you push down the road?
Old 11-20-2016, 10:34 PM   #197 (permalink)
Full sized hybrid.

A trailer in front! Now that would be funny looking! Wouldn't it be called a leader then?

As far as wiring an outlet (or should I say inlet) on the rear of the car to tap into the the battery pack and charge from some sort of generator, second battery or fuel cell, I don't see how that would be a problem. That would probably be easier than putting a trailer on the front and figuring out how to use the CHAdeMO port and communication.

Besides a trailer, maybe holes could be cut in the trunk area for cooling and intake and exhaust and then just put the generator set in the trunk.

But I wonder how the vehicle would react. There seem to have been a few guys who have added battery packs or chargers and connected them in parallel with the battery with no negative consequences.

Still, if I'm using an engine, a pusher trailer makes more sense than a generator trailer.

Vehicle to grid! Vehicle to home! Those are cool ideas! I was thinking for a moment, "hot water heater to vehicle." In other words, run an engine (probably steam engine, off of natural gas) to run a generator and power my home and car and use the waste heat to heat my hot water and my home during the winter.

If there were CHAdeMO chargers in the area that would make EV life easy for those longer trips. But even more level 2 chargers would make all electric much easier to do. If I could get a battery big enough and cheap enough then I wouldn't need to rent a car or make a pusher/generator trailer. I could put a Brusa charger and a J1772 outlet (inlet?) with the battery on a trailer and go!
Old 11-21-2016, 02:38 AM   #198 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Get a Vespa motor scooter and replace the front wheel with a trailer hitch. No suspension, just pivoting around two axes. You could put a 1x2x3ft battery pack in the footwell and the charger and cables where the seat was.

Edit: For co-generation, what you want is a Lister diesel. It's a 1930s British design, now manufactured in India

See here:http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ink-32966.html

Last edited by freebeard; 11-21-2016 at 02:52 AM..
Old 11-21-2016, 04:27 AM   #199 (permalink)
Full sized hybrid.

I had once thought of using a Honda PCX150 as a pusher. I suppose 10hp would be better than nothing.

But what if instead I put a boat tail, wheel skirts and such on it and dropped the Cd from 31 to 17-19, along with actual low rolling resistance tires?
Old 11-21-2016, 02:10 PM   #200 (permalink)
Two weels Zero sparkplugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zackary View Post
If there were CHAdeMO chargers in the area that would make EV life easy for those longer trips. But even more level 2 chargers would make all electric much easier to do. If I could get a battery big enough and cheap enough then I wouldn't need to rent a car or make a pusher/generator trailer. I could put a Brusa charger and a J1772 outlet (inlet?) with the battery on a trailer and go!
That's the disadvantage of being an early adapter in the EV world, you have a relatively small battery compared to the new generation of EV's that about to be released(On the other hand think of the humongous amount of fuel you already saved.) and charging stations aren't everywhere. Yet.

With the introduction of the Bolt and other cars demand for charging will rise and so will the amount of stations.

Now just don't sit back and watch the stations appear, you gotta work for it. Have to plant those seeds in peoples heads. If I'd take a look at Plugshare in Gunnison there are plenty of prime spots for at least L2 stations, like the Holiday Inn, all the schools, the shopping centre/Walmart.
Get out there and spread the world, just mention it if you visit those places that you'd were more eager to drop in their establishment if you could charge there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zackary View Post
I had once thought of using a Honda PCX150 as a pusher. I suppose 10hp would be better than nothing.

But what if instead I put a boat tail, wheel skirts and such on it and dropped the Cd from 31 to 17-19, along with actual low rolling resistance tires?
Now were talking, aerodynamics are where you can squeeze some serious extra kilometres out of your range!
Start with the low hanging fruit, for example is all your lightning LED already? If your tires still good already start researching for the best replacement and drop some dank mooneyes on those rims:

Reply  Post New Thread