View Single Post
Old 11-23-2016, 02:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
cajunfj40
Lurking Eco-wall-o-texter

What small safe 4x4's have no center console?

So, I'm in the market for a new-to-me used vehicle and I figured the wide experience here could help with suggestions.

I've been driving an all-manual 1999 Chevy Prizm. Cons: 172k+ miles, uses oil (defective engine design), needs struts, is rusty and beat up, dunno which major system will fail next, is basically worthless, boring, annoying. Pros: Paid for, cheap to insure, 30+mpg avg. without trying very hard, corners/accelerates pretty good, will tow a surprising amount on my cheap folding trailer.

What I want is unavailable: an FJ40 with a bench seat, good crash test results and decent mpg or electric drive.

So, I compiled what I'd like to have in a vehicle: Bench front seat for date nights, at least 2 rear seats with shoulder belts for when I need to haul the kids around, 4x4 with low range (or equivalent) for when I want to go 'wheeling again, minimum 4*/4* crash test rating so I and passenger are less likely to die when Bad Luck hits, looks that I don't hate so I don't hate driving the thing, and decent mpg/mpge so I don't swear every time I fill up.

A '92-'96 Ford Bronco is as close as I can get, and a similar vintage 2-door GMT-400 chassis Blazer/Yukon/Tahoe is also reasonable. Both will need front seat swaps from same series extended-cab trucks to get the front bench, but its a half-day bolt-in swap and parts are cheap. Related vehicles are also (cheaper) possibilities but are longer/heavier/even worse on fuel.

What smaller vehicles are out there that meet my needs/wants? What is out there with the driver and passenger close enough together without a redicu-large center console keeping them apart? I.E. the benefits of a bench seat without the wide vehicle? Which of those has a decent safety rating (4*/4* NHTSA minimum or equivalent) and has 4wd with a low range or equivalent "crawl capability" (or can be reasonably modified to have same?)

A Suzuki Samurai with a decent crash test rating would be great. The modern derivative Vitara/Grand Vitara/Tracker lost its low range and gained a center console when it got decent crash ratings, so that's out. I would strongly consider a Subaru if they didn't have the center console (aftermarket has ways to get a low-range equivalent). The RAV4 and CRV also have the center console problem, at least that I've seen so far.

What's out there that I haven't come across yet? Prefer $4k or less total price, but a perfect vehicle may get me to break down and make payments.

Thanks all!