View Single Post
Old 08-12-2008, 02:56 PM   #210 (permalink)
metromizer
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dremd View Post
as far as the back window goes I'd have to reccomend that you buy a new window seal. I hate to tell you to spend money,and silicone will seal it fine unfortunatley if your seal is leaking chances are there is rust under the seal which will only get worse . IMHO pullthe seal out cold half it seal any spots that rusted through paint to match car and put a new seal in which should be cheap. Just my opinion .
exactly, new seals are cheap and easy to install.

Rust under the front and rear window seal is fairly common in old acvw's. A couple friends of mine just had to replace the 'package tray' area under the rear window and the passenger side floor pan half in their '68... rusted thru from years of rear window leakage, the car was sitting at an angle were water collected on the passenger side.

You are so right about having to fix all the little stuff, then convert it to an EV. It's two... two... two projects in one! (take off on the old Certs commercial... sorry, couldn't help myself )

If this EVW hit sthe road this summer, it will be some sort of accomplishment record. I've tackled some ambitious projects, but this is a big one that is moving very fast, bravo!