View Single Post
Old 12-20-2016, 01:45 PM   #38 (permalink)
Hersbird
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,178 Times in 807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davelobi View Post
CAFE wouldn't be an issue if there was any way in the world an automotive V-8 could obtain 100 mpg! The car manufacturers would be all over it. The internal combustion engine is rapidly losing opportunities for big gains in fuel economy. It is pretty well engineered in the modern engines. AFM (active fuel management, ie dropping cylinders under light loads) and start/stop technology are a couple of the latest gains after going to lighter lubricants. Concentration has been on lighter and slippery cars as well as less and less displacement. We are still buying V8 vehilcles because we want/like em and gas is cheap.

You can pick up a couple thousand BTUs/gallon in the winter by storing some summer formulation gasoline.

just my 2 cents
I really doubt economy will ever again be allowed to improve at the expense of higher emissions. Look at VW, that's basically what they did, and they will try and bankrupt the 2nd or 3rd biggest carmaker over it even though it was just a small portion of the cars they make. If anything under current plans gas cars are going to need to add exhaust particulate filters and regeneration modes like a diesel especially on direct injection. Everything is one step forward, 2 steps back by design. This is why I would live to see what is possible emissions be damned so we could see what exactly it is all adding up to.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hersbird For This Useful Post:
Xist (12-21-2016)