View Single Post
Old 12-24-2016, 03:00 PM   #72 (permalink)
AntiochOG
EcoModding Apprentice

Cinco The Miata - '90 Mazda Miata
Team Mazda
Sports Cars
90 day: 36.13 mpg (US)

Oscar Wilde - '02 Honda Metropolitan
Motorcycle
90 day: 94.9 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
The result is the crank pulley develops a wobble that wrecks the crankshaft end = need new crank/engine.

It's a fatal flaw in the 1.6L 1st gen engine with the "short nose" crankshaft pulley end.

There's also a "loctite fix" procedure that may work if the damage hasn't progressed too far.
I'm of the opinion that if it hasn't failed after 25 years, it's probably not going to anytime soon. But mine is due for a timing belt, so I guess I'll find out soon.

Quote:
Many owners are averaging mid-high 30's mpg US. Low 40's are not impossible - half a dozen owners report that.
My experience has been mostly mid-high 30's unless conditions are optimal.

Quote:
- 3 or 4 different hues of faded red paint; a couple of panels may be original
Anything that is still original will shine up really well. It's single stage paint and some polishing will bring it right back. The bumpers, mirrors, and rear finish panel will fade again quickly though in my experience.

Quote:
An alarming amount of valve/lifter noise at first: hydraulic lifters devoid of any oil! It resolved itself reasonably quickly, and after that there was no ticking on re-starts.
I'd be surprised if this wasn't the case.

Quote:
The engine stumbled a tiny bit when cold (missed a little), but was fine once it started to warm up. It pulled strong; no odd noises.
Try replacing the ignition wires. They are a known weak point.

Quote:
THE GEARING IS ATROCIOUS and / or fun. 1-3-5 would be a very workable MPG strategy for this car. A taller final drive/rear end swap is an option. But why can't we just have fun 1-4, then a big overdrive for 5th?
I've always wanted to do a six speed swap, and swap out for a taller rear end. That way 1-5 would be like they are now, but with a big 6th gear. But, it's hard to justify the cost of doing that.

Quote:
Ignition key/seatbelt/headlights buzzer was on CONSTANTLY. No matter what I did, I couldn't get it to shut off!
I unplugged my buzzer the day I bought the car. I forgot how annoying that thing is.

Quote:
It's strange: $750 feels like too much to pay for an old car in this condition, yet $750 is somehow a good deal for a Miata in this condition. A look at current prices backs this up, and my Miata-owning buddy says: "that's thievery on your part!"
Seems like a good price for a running Miata

Quote:
Remembered some more!

10) Power steering delete (common -- P.S. was actually optional in the first few years of the car)

11) Air conditioner delete (I doubt that it even works, but haven't tried)
PS/AC delete has been my best MPG mod. I also like that the steering feel doesn't change now when I do EOC. I depowered my power rack rather than swapping to a manual rack to keep the quicker ratio. Still isn't that hard to turn the wheel, even in a parking lot with wider summer tires.

Quote:
These are OEM LRR tires from a 2014 Mirage, in 165/65R14 size -- same size, incidentally, as the 1st gen Insight.
I bet 165s are a ton of fun on the Miata. Driving at the edge of traction is so much fun in these cars.

Quote:
Also, I'm going to need something like this cover on the car year round anyway. Unless I replace the top. Which I'm not planning to do.
Tops aren't that expensive or hard to install.

Mazda Miata Convertible Soft Top & Plastic Window 1990-2005 Black Haartz Cabrio | eBay

You'd probably want to buy a new rain rail too.