View Single Post
Old 12-25-2016, 09:42 PM   #28 (permalink)
elhigh
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 50.48 mpg (US)
I have a '98 Fozzie, also auto. My observations:

1) These things are geared ridiculously short. 2500 rpm at 60? With 165 hp? Get a grip. It just doesn't need to be spinning that busily. And I think there are no regearing options for longer legs, you're just stuck with it. I don't think it's possible to make the manual finals work for the auto, but I haven't explored that very deeply.

2) The torque converter will not lock up below about 40mph. For that reason I spend a lot of time cruising at exactly 45, which combines to minimized the aero load while keeping the TC engaged.

3) Mid-20s is a good day in my experience. My son has managed over 27 on a couple of longer trips. The longest tank I have personally observed was about 330 miles.

4) Any aero improvements you can make have GOT to pay off. The aero of the Forester is comparable to a phone booth, or a cardboard box. It's awful.

5) Oil on the engine might be valve cover gaskets, but it might be a leaky inspection plate on the back of the engine. You have to pull the engine to get to it. Supposedly your generation of Foz should have been okay for that, but some reports say it was still an issue. Mine smokes like the Deepwater Horizon after any drive longer than three miles, even after the engine was supposed to have been fixed.

These problems aside, it's a NICE car. Lots of room inside, plenty of power, and a hoot in snow. NOTE: DON'T attempt any kind of offroading without installing limited slip differentials. I got mine with about 160,000 miles on and it's up to about 330,000 now.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.