View Single Post
Old 08-13-2008, 02:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
aerohead
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
trailing edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP-CLMBR View Post
I have a question my 87 hf had a factory rear spoiler and my new to me 88 has faided paint like it used to have one are these for vacume release of rear air flow or down force the one on the 87 was torn off when a dumb a## raised the deck lid with it and has been in my garauge fo 7 or 8 years, I know it is light in the rear especially on wet winding road, was thinkig of putting votex generators along this trailng edge, any thougts?
My thought about the VGs,is that they're intended to help separated flow re-attach to a surface positioned behind the point of separation.If VGs are positioned at the very back of the hatch,there is nothing back there to re-attach to.They could allow a more homogeneous turbulent wake,with reduced trailing vortices,created at the fastback.Just don't know.It's a good question,and there is much attention given VGs.If your time and budget allowed,you could establish a good baseline for the car,then add the VGs to test for any change.Good numbers are hard to get and expensive with today's high fuel prices.Should the VGs fail to add mpg after testing,they still could have value if later used in conjunction with a short boat tail.Let us know and good luck with the project.