Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2008, 02:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
2nd-Generation CRX HF data

I dug out the article for the second-generation HONDA CIVIC CRX HF.The article appears in the November issue,AUTOMOBILE MAGAZINE,page 93. The CRX got an all-new "gently-tapered" body.The HF scored a Cd0.29 due to it's "skinny tires".The wheel-base was stretched 3.9 inches(97.5mm),a wider track,and a 2-inch(50mm) lower hood-line.The rear deck was raised 2-inches(50mm),and a "secondary" backlite was added for parking visibility.New headlights were flush and steeply-raked,and shorter,allowing the lower hood.Front airdam was moved forward.Side-view mirrors are a bit smaller and slicker.That's it! EPA 55 mpg-HWY. No mention of effect of rear windshield wiper on Si.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-03-2008, 03:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Enthusiast

Silver Bullet - '03 Mazda Protege LX
90 day: 29.51 mpg (US)

90 day: 37.06 mpg (US)

Blaze - '17 Ford Escape
Any possibility of scanning the article for those of us with poor imaginations?
Old 07-03-2008, 03:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003protege View Post
Just buy a crx,
Old 07-08-2008, 03:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

scanning

Quote:
I'd be happy to do it.The article has been returned to the scary place where such things dwell and will require some re-digging.If you can hang on,I'll get it and have Al scan it and email.I'll get the gen-1 photo for comparison.Warning,I can be a scatter-brained idiot at times,so remind me after while,should this well-made plan head towards hell.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

CRX - '91 honda CRX Hf
As a 2nd generation CRX owner, actually I am on my 4th CRX, I can tell you at highway speeds in a rain storm the back window does not get wet unless it is a really bad thunderstorm.
So the rear window blade should have little if no effect on the air stream.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Enthusiast

90 day: 29.51 mpg (US)

90 day: 37.06 mpg (US)

Blaze - '17 Ford Escape
Thanks for emailing those scans. It's a very dramatic difference between the two. I typed it up word for word. It also looks like they gave the a smaller engine. But it is a very smooth profile.

“But the CRX is meant to be more than Honda’s two-passenger sports car. The HF version, with its eight-valve engine producing a paltry 62 bhp, serves as the company’s high mileage flagship. Honda estimates the EPA highway figure at 55 mpg. The standard CRX now makes 92 bhp, one horsepower more than 1987’s CRX Si, and has an EPA highway number of 41 mpg. The CRX Si rates and estimated 35 mpg on the EPA highway scale.

Each CRX uses the same new, gently tapered body (0.30 Cd fot he CRX and CRX Si, and 0.29 Cd for the CRX HF with its skinny tires), which incorporates a 90.6 inch wheelbase (up 3.9 inches), a wider track and a lower hood, and a secondary rear window positioned just above the taillights. Beyond its value as a styling feature, the Lamborghini Espada-like window allows drivers to peer rearward during parking maneuvers—a task that otherwise would be difficult with the higher (by two inches) deck. New flush headlights also play a role in the renovated Civics’ new slipperiness. Thanks to improved headlamp reflector technology, Honda used shorter, radically angled lenses with no sacrifice in efficiency.”
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	honda1bb.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	1132   Click image for larger version

Name:	honda2bb.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	1133  
Old 07-11-2008, 02:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

CRX images

Quote:
Thanks for emailing those scans. It's a very dramatic difference between the two. I typed it up word for word. It also looks like they gave the a smaller engine. But it is a very smooth profile.

“But the CRX is meant to be more than Honda’s two-passenger sports car. The HF version, with its eight-valve engine producing a paltry 62 bhp, serves as the company’s high mileage flagship. Honda estimates the EPA highway figure at 55 mpg. The standard CRX now makes 92 bhp, one horsepower more than 1987’s CRX Si, and has an EPA highway number of 41 mpg. The CRX Si rates and estimated 35 mpg on the EPA highway scale.

Each CRX uses the same new, gently tapered body (0.30 Cd fot he CRX and CRX Si, and 0.29 Cd for the CRX HF with its skinny tires), which incorporates a 90.6 inch wheelbase (up 3.9 inches), a wider track and a lower hood, and a secondary rear window positioned just above the taillights. Beyond its value as a styling feature, the Lamborghini Espada-like window allows drivers to peer rearward during parking maneuvers—a task that otherwise would be difficult with the higher (by two inches) deck. New flush headlights also play a role in the renovated Civics’ new slipperiness. Thanks to improved headlamp reflector technology, Honda used shorter, radically angled lenses with no sacrifice in efficiency.”
protege,that's great of you to post the images.Looks like some other members are looking at the CRX as a possible project car.The profiles will help them with decision making.Thanks much for doing what is so awkward for me,Phil.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

1st vs 2nd gen crx hf

Quote:

wow I have a 87 hf and just bought a 88 hf and never noticed the wind shield angle diff till your thum nails side by side
Old 08-04-2008, 02:32 AM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I have a question my 87 hf had a factory rear spoiler and my new to me 88 has faided paint like it used to have one are these for vacume release of rear air flow or down force the one on the 87 was torn off when a dumb a## raised the deck lid with it and has been in my garauge fo 7 or 8 years, I know it is light in the rear especially on wet winding road, was thinkig of putting votex generators along this trailng edge, any thougts?
Old 08-13-2008, 02:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

trailing edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP-CLMBR View Post
I have a question my 87 hf had a factory rear spoiler and my new to me 88 has faided paint like it used to have one are these for vacume release of rear air flow or down force the one on the 87 was torn off when a dumb a## raised the deck lid with it and has been in my garauge fo 7 or 8 years, I know it is light in the rear especially on wet winding road, was thinkig of putting votex generators along this trailng edge, any thougts?
My thought about the VGs,is that they're intended to help separated flow re-attach to a surface positioned behind the point of separation.If VGs are positioned at the very back of the hatch,there is nothing back there to re-attach to.They could allow a more homogeneous turbulent wake,with reduced trailing vortices,created at the fastback.Just don't know.It's a good question,and there is much attention given VGs.If your time and budget allowed,you could establish a good baseline for the car,then add the VGs to test for any change.Good numbers are hard to get and expensive with today's high fuel prices.Should the VGs fail to add mpg after testing,they still could have value if later used in conjunction with a short boat tail.Let us know and good luck with the project.