View Single Post
Old 01-01-2017, 09:11 AM   #54 (permalink)
MetroMPG
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtamiyaphile View Post
I try to stay out of using the battery for that reason.
Cd: this is the trick to good MPG in a hybrid. It's counterintuitive, but don't focus on driving around in EV mode. It's useful at very low speeds for short distances (eg. parking lots) or crawling through brief stop & go situations. And it's a neat party trick, but it's not the way to get best MPG.

You want to use the engine to get the car up to speed. Once there, back off the throttle to shut the ICE down and maximize engine-off time approaching turns & stops while coasting. You can see if you feather the throttle you can control how much coasting regen you're getting.

Basically aim for modified pulse & glide as much as will fit in your normal accel/coasting/stopping pattern.

I used to sometimes stick the trans in N after the engine stopped, if I was going to be decel/coasting for a while so I didn't have to focus on feathering the throttle to keep it in neutral between assist & regen. But you have to remember to go back into D if you want regen again (or power!). Pressing the foot brake while coasting in N gives you friction braking only.

PS: your post makes me miss driving the Limo. If it's got to be an automatic, I'll take a Toyota hybrid.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget