View Single Post
Old 08-13-2008, 03:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
bgd73
Banned

oldscoob - '87 subaru wagon gl/dr
90 day: 47.06 mpg (US)
stronger ignition

I was pondering older "hacks" for a carbed 1987 subaru (1781 cc) , and remembered ignition mods I had heard of for hot rod v8s. It worked for some, and totally crushed others..all while not showing much of an improvement for anything.
anyone done this for thier four cylinder? I have upgraded coil, distributor is the magnetic pickup type. The coil is always an improvement, but after reading what MSD ignition had to say abot thier blaster:
For budget build-ups or economy daily drivers, the Blaster Ignition is a great choice. With a 7.5 amp inductive discharge, the Blaster provides a powerful spark at an affordable price. The Blaster creates a high current, long duration spark that efficiently burns the air/fuel mixture in the cylinder. The benefits are more power, easier starting, snappy throttle response and increased economy. This single spark ignition will install easily to breaker points, late model computer equipped vehicles and magnetic pick-up distributors such as the line of MSD Pro-Billet Distributors.
and here is the specs:
Spark Energy: 180 mJ Stored Energy (Inductive)
Primary Voltage: 420-450 Volts
Secondary Voltage: 40,000 Volts
RPM Range: 10,000 RPM (8CYL.)
Voltage Required: 12 Volts, Negative Ground
Current Draw: 7.5 Amps Max
Weight and Size: 1.25 lbs.,6"L x 3.5"W x 1.75"H

My current coil is at 11000 volts, bury tach on dead rev, 5200 rpm under load (always assumed ignition limited somehow) 4000 volts over oem, and quite noticable, and I hope not to be a product killer, seems to me, the msd ignition module is an invasion of a direct content route to gain a longer spark? I then pondered a tiny 2.65 inch stroke boxer with longer spark...as if it isn't sparking like a mini-locomotive already...
worth a try from a users /pro opinion?

Product