Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2008, 03:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

oldscoob - '87 subaru wagon gl/dr
90 day: 47.06 mpg (US)
stronger ignition

I was pondering older "hacks" for a carbed 1987 subaru (1781 cc) , and remembered ignition mods I had heard of for hot rod v8s. It worked for some, and totally crushed others..all while not showing much of an improvement for anything.
anyone done this for thier four cylinder? I have upgraded coil, distributor is the magnetic pickup type. The coil is always an improvement, but after reading what MSD ignition had to say abot thier blaster:
For budget build-ups or economy daily drivers, the Blaster Ignition is a great choice. With a 7.5 amp inductive discharge, the Blaster provides a powerful spark at an affordable price. The Blaster creates a high current, long duration spark that efficiently burns the air/fuel mixture in the cylinder. The benefits are more power, easier starting, snappy throttle response and increased economy. This single spark ignition will install easily to breaker points, late model computer equipped vehicles and magnetic pick-up distributors such as the line of MSD Pro-Billet Distributors.
and here is the specs:
Spark Energy: 180 mJ Stored Energy (Inductive)
Primary Voltage: 420-450 Volts
Secondary Voltage: 40,000 Volts
RPM Range: 10,000 RPM (8CYL.)
Voltage Required: 12 Volts, Negative Ground
Current Draw: 7.5 Amps Max
Weight and Size: 1.25 lbs.,6"L x 3.5"W x 1.75"H

My current coil is at 11000 volts, bury tach on dead rev, 5200 rpm under load (always assumed ignition limited somehow) 4000 volts over oem, and quite noticable, and I hope not to be a product killer, seems to me, the msd ignition module is an invasion of a direct content route to gain a longer spark? I then pondered a tiny 2.65 inch stroke boxer with longer spark...as if it isn't sparking like a mini-locomotive already...
worth a try from a users /pro opinion?

Product

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-13-2008, 03:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
If your engine isn't misfiring now (you can tell this via the hydrocarbon count in your exhaust), a new ignition coil isn't going to do much of anything.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

but a high voltage spark might, if you can get the correct voltage spark it will actually create a shock wave that helps split the fuel and give a more efficient burn but before attempting that i would try side-gapping sparkplugs if your plugs are not that way from factory

There are many plans for high voltage coil enhancers knocking around on the net. most of them refer to the 'water spark plug'. high voltage is piggy backed on the normal coil pulse.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

MSD's bigest claim to fame is the multiple spark feature that happens under 2500 rpm (that's what they refer to as longer spark, but treally it's several close together sparks). Higher rpm then that, and the msd units just sparks once.

I've played with several MSD units on higher compression race cars, even did a back-to-back on a 10:1 compression ratio 4 cylinder once, where I swapped out the stock ignition for an MSD 6al box and their Blaster 2 coil, then back to the stock stuff. The MSD unit netted better results in that case. Better idle, a little snappier throttle response, and I could take fuel away (I was able to use slightly smaller main jet). I was skepticle I'd see any actual on-track improvements, but that excersize made a believer out of me.

I am not sure I understand the physics, I always figured a spark is a spark, if ignition happed you were good, but my experience has been a hotter spark ignition system ,to a point> usually nets a hp gain. Maybe through fewer <undetected> misfires? I am not sure about better FE <I never tested it>, but I doubt it would hurt. Certainly the multiple spark should clean up emissions at lower rpms.

A side note: you will want to be sure the MSD box you use is paired with the correct coil, and is compatable with your number of cyliders. One of the phone support techs at MSD made it a point when we were talking about some issue I was trouble shooting.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

oldscoob - '87 subaru wagon gl/dr
90 day: 47.06 mpg (US)
thanks for replies. I believe the little sube is a perfect candidate. The accel coil at 33%(? something in that realm of number games- I went from a rusty dud 7000volts to 11000) stronger was quite noticable, and I too had to back off the fuel..now at all heavier throttling it is at the gas mileage it was before just to drive around easy.
I finally managed to make exhaust and other things surrounding a higher coil strong enough to take it to another level...including the unibody...with a secret located aluminumized electrical dispersing metal.
The winter still takes awhile for heat on my 9:1 engine, but did get helped with bigger coil. I may try out the msd combo, thanks.
The 9.5:1 sube 1781cc (same engine really but pistons) would not like this I am certain, the 9:1 is like having a long stroke little engine because of the bigger chamber to fill and squish less.

Reply  Post New Thread