View Single Post
Old 01-13-2017, 06:30 PM   #118 (permalink)
elhigh
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 50.48 mpg (US)
Stop saying "1000s" of degrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by racprops View Post

Which is one reason ICEs get so damn hot the exhaust temps can run in the 1000s of degrees and the exhaust manifold runs very hot.

I have seen test bench runs of an ICE at full throttle where the manifolds and exhaust pipes can glow bright red with the heat.

You aren't going to see "1000s" of degrees. A competitive drag racer pulling a 540-powered rig through the trap in the mid-8s will see 1300-1500 depending on the tune. That isn't thousands, it's a thousand-plus. That guy is blowing way more power through his engine than you ever will, or pretty much anybody you're likely to meet driving anything on the street, and his EGTs are only in the thousand-plus range. Stop saying thousands.

The exhaust is hot because the exhaust gases being ejected from the cylinder are hot. The catalytic converter is hot because it's burning off carbon monoxide, which is a fuel gas and a result of rapid fuel burning (like in an engine cylinder). It also burns off unburned fuel if some manages to get out of the cylinder; that isn't supposed to happen so if your cat melts, spend some time making nice with your fuel and air management systems because the cat doesn't die without a reason.

For the record, steel glowing bright cherry red is at about 1500 degrees. Spend a little time pounding away at hot steel on an anvil and you'll become intimately familiar with that. HOWEVER, if you are observing this color through a video camera, all bets are off. Video camera's imaging sensors are very sensitive to IR and the IR filters in the lenses aren't perfect, so it's very easy to "see" a glowing-hot surface that isn't actually glowing to the naked eye.

I'm regretting, on a very small scale since it's Friday evening and I have nothing else to do, weighing in on this topic as I fear it is Corral bound, but what the hell.

I see you vigorously shouting back and forth at the people here, why not just build your 100% vapor engine and tell us your results?

Lead or follow. Either is fine.

Last edited by elhigh; 01-13-2017 at 08:36 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to elhigh For This Useful Post:
ChazInMT (01-13-2017)