View Single Post
Old 01-18-2017, 12:39 AM   #50 (permalink)
craysus
EcoModding Lurker

Have started working on pricing points for the radiator redesign to allow for a much lower hood line..
Looks like if I take 600mm off the height of the radiator (From 1400mm approx including header tank), and turn it into a double thickness dual pass design, I would effectively enable the hood front line to come down to only 1-2 inches higher than the factory wheel fender heights!
I also greatly INCREASE the fluid capacity of the entire radiator..from 157.50 litres, to 180 litres approximately..being dual pass the efficiency should also increase slightly (Even with the huge thickness)

The FAN was the next hurdle, trying to find something narrower than the factory setup, with much higher CFM ratings to drag air through the double thickness core. Looks like the unit used on the airflow truck (Horton Windmaster Revolution) has a huge airflow..at around 2.0 Static Pressure (Kpa) it has about 7 CMS...which according to an online converter is about 14500CFM...
It can be driven by an electric motor, or...better yet, a 2 stage hydro clutch (That can also turn off when temps allow if digitally controlled),. This could then be mounted directly to the crankshaft instead of being belt driven (As the radiator centre point is much lower...no need to mount it up higher on the engine front, and using pulleys / belts to chew more friction). This would mean I could maintain a 150amp alternator to keep electrical drag lower..

The CAC (Charge air cooler - aka Intercooler), would need redesigning as well, to reduce its height / increase its thickness...and have the pipes directed out the ends, instead of over the top..this would not be an issue, as a aftermarket intercooler will be miles ahead of the oem tube and fin nastiness!

The Air intakes could mount on top of the engine..and be ducted either through the nose, or from side pods on the hood...

And the radiator would need to have remote mounted top tanks (Lowers the height on the radiator, allowing maximum fin area), as the top tank must be above engine height to allow for bleeding etc..

My head hurts....