View Single Post
Old 08-14-2008, 12:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
metromizer
Master EcoModder

MSD's bigest claim to fame is the multiple spark feature that happens under 2500 rpm (that's what they refer to as longer spark, but treally it's several close together sparks). Higher rpm then that, and the msd units just sparks once.

I've played with several MSD units on higher compression race cars, even did a back-to-back on a 10:1 compression ratio 4 cylinder once, where I swapped out the stock ignition for an MSD 6al box and their Blaster 2 coil, then back to the stock stuff. The MSD unit netted better results in that case. Better idle, a little snappier throttle response, and I could take fuel away (I was able to use slightly smaller main jet). I was skepticle I'd see any actual on-track improvements, but that excersize made a believer out of me.

I am not sure I understand the physics, I always figured a spark is a spark, if ignition happed you were good, but my experience has been a hotter spark ignition system ,to a point> usually nets a hp gain. Maybe through fewer <undetected> misfires? I am not sure about better FE <I never tested it>, but I doubt it would hurt. Certainly the multiple spark should clean up emissions at lower rpms.

A side note: you will want to be sure the MSD box you use is paired with the correct coil, and is compatable with your number of cyliders. One of the phone support techs at MSD made it a point when we were talking about some issue I was trouble shooting.