View Single Post
Old 02-18-2017, 11:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
Vman455

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,797 Times in 937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriboTEX View Post
Vman455: Great references. Marketing talks were about averages of cars on road and ownership patterns as well as averages and you cite peak parameters of cars that are not released yet. Oldest and average cars are usually not a first owner cars.
Sorry to contradict you once again, but I was not citing peak parameters of cars that haven't been released yet--the 3rd-gen Prius, for instance, with an engine thermal efficiency of 38% was released in late 2009, and the 4th-gen at 40% a year and a half ago. The Ioniq hybrid went on sale in the US this week, the new Camry will be on sale this summer, and there are plenty of other ICE vehicles with peak efficiencies greater than 30% that I didn't mention. Also, since you cite peak thermal efficiency ("30 percent efficient at best"), so did I. If you want to argue average efficiency that's a different story, and you need to say that...but you didn't--quite the opposite, in fact.

Don't get me wrong--if your coating actually works, I'll buy it in a heartbeat. But we need some evidence of that beyond the fact of a couple NSF grants and paper references that show nanoparticle tribofilms can have application as anti-wear agents (i.e. you need to produce some evidence that your product can do this in an engine. This is especially important since none of your cited literature indicates that this technology is ready for public consumption yet). And, as I said before, when your marketing copy starts out with a string of easily-debunked half-truths, it doesn't help your cause of trying to get me, your ideal consumer, to buy your product because you've eroded my trust before you've even had a chance to earn it.

I wish you all success, and hope you can provide us with some concrete testing results in future. This is certainly an intriguing concept, and I hope it works out.

The Following User Says Thank You to Vman455 For This Useful Post:
TriboTEX (02-19-2017)