View Single Post
Old 03-09-2017, 12:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
Daschicken
EcoModding flying lizard

Cibbie - '88 Honda CBR 250R
Motorcycle
90 day: 48.49 mpg (US)

Rarity - '06 Honda Accord EX V6
Team Honda
90 day: 29.88 mpg (US)

Baby viff - '86 Honda VFR 400R
Motorcycle
90 day: 42.15 mpg (US)

Latios - '08 Suzuki SV650SF
Motorcycle
90 day: 64.56 mpg (US)

Mazda 3 - '14 Mazda 3 i Sport
90 day: 43.25 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovie View Post
Something I forgot to mention is I'm also looking to do that as a means of controlling the vehicles max power so it's kind of like swapping out a smaller engine but by throttle instead?? For example having a 250hp engine and adjusting the throttle range to only allow say 75hp??
That's not how it works, you are still stuck with the extra friction of the bigger engine and the increased pumping losses of the engine not having to work hard. Just recently I really started taking advantage of road conditions to allow serious engine on pulse and glide, and it has really helped out mileage.

You can essentially accomplish what you are describing here by using pulse and glide. Accelerate at a good amount of throttle(engine is working efficiently, no matter its size) to above desired speed, pop it into neutral, coast down to below desired speed, and repeat. Obviously you can't do this with people anywhere near behind you, but when you can, it REALLY WORKS!

Automakers attempt to offset the mileage penalties of larger engines by using lean burn, atkinsoning, cylinder deactivation, ect to reduce instant power output, requiring more throttle(less pumping losses) to produce the same amount of power. But again, you still pay for the friction of the larger engine, and these strategies are not always active.

Best trip in V6: 52.0
Best tank in V6: 46.0
Best tank in Mazda: 49.9
Best tank in CBR: 61.3
Best tank in SV: 83.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
You can lead a fashion-conscious horse to unusual-looking water...

Last edited by Daschicken; 03-09-2017 at 12:39 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daschicken For This Useful Post:
BabyDiesel (03-15-2017), Daox (03-09-2017)