Thread: Eco My Echo
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2017, 01:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
puddleglum
Master EcoModder

Rondo - '07 Kia Rondo EX
Last 3: 20.47 mpg (US)

Tinkertoy2 - '00 Toyota Echo base
Team Toyota
Last 3: 46.03 mpg (US)
DRL disable switch mod

Thought this deserved it's own post.
I am not a big fan of DRL's since they only activate the headlights. I suppose they might help in certain situations, but very few IMO. This is stage one in the lighting plan. I'm seriously thinking of installing LED light strips front and rear that will draw very little power and make me visible from all angles, not just in front.
Okay, on to the mod.
First, I wanted to make sure that none of the other functions of the car were disabled and DRL's were still available if required. Removing the park brake switch or the DRL relay does stop the lights from working but affects some of the dash indicator lights. Unplugging the DRL#5 relay in the fuse panel doesn't work.
I wanted to cut them off with a switch so turning them back on will be easy.
The DRL relay on the Echo is located behind the dash to the left of the instrument cluster. Remove the cluster plastic trim, remove the mounting screw for the relay and disconnect the connector.

The red wire with yellow stripe is the negative from the headlights and the white wire with black stripe is the relay ground.

Interrupting either wire will disable the lights. I went with the negative from the lights because I figure it will be easier to transition to LED's later as I can just run a ground from the led's to my switch.

If you didn't want a switch you could just cut the wire and call it good. I chose to install a switch in the red w/yellow wire. Works perfectly, the DRL relay is still functioning so none of the other circuits that run through it are affected and I can turn the DRL's off or on with the switch.

Almost all my driving is done 1-5 miles at a time.
Best short trip: 2.4 l/100 km, 3.9 km
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to puddleglum For This Useful Post:
101Volts (06-05-2017), Daox (04-15-2017)