View Single Post
Old 03-22-2017, 09:40 AM   #33 (permalink)
teoman
Master EcoModder

A3 - '12 Audi A3
Unfortunately I do not fully follow.

The my idea is to keep all copper in tontact with exhaust manifold, with just the ends pointing slightly up (about 5 cm, a number I generated from my ass). So all copper is about exhaust temperature.

The input side has about 10 cm of silicone hose (same method of specification generation). The output side has about 30-40 cm of silicone hose that has an ID of 0.8mm. Not much water will gather there. I have such hose coming to me for a soft robotics project. So i thought why not. If it is a small ID, the steam will exit with a high velocity helping mixing. The length will give a bit of resistance to the flow, so i can increase pressure ever so slightly, raising the boiling temp of the water.

I just do not see where the water that will accumulate in the pile will come from. The amount of water as we calculated above is about 2.4 liters per hour.

If i introduce air flow to the pipe, the expansion of the steam will not be unidirectional, it will also try to expand in the direction where i introduce the said airflow.

Once the car stops, there will be steam in the silicone hose (negligeable) and some in the copper pipe. Which will condense when the car cools down. But it will re evaporize when engine starts. We are still talking about just a couple of drops. If it were not for the corrosive effect of the water, the 2 drops would in fact be beneficial to the functioning of the system because once it reevaporates, the system is recharged with steam which will be pushed to the intake with the next injector pulse. (Otherwise the first injector pulse generates steam which displaces the hot air in the pipe and hose in to the intake).

But please correct me if i am wrong.