View Single Post
Old 03-26-2017, 04:04 AM   #63 (permalink)
RedDevil
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 47.72 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
I had not even considered the possibility of using AutoStop while moving... That would be the ultimate Pulse&Glide mod

AFAIK the Insight can be towed in N. The CVT drums do spin but the clutch on the primary drums is disengaged and the ratio is maxed out so the drums do spin slowly.
I have tried coasting in N, engine running, as a P&G strategy at speeds round 35 mph. But the fuel consumption at those speed while engaged at constant is just double that of pure idling... as the pulse phase uses almost double the fuel, the overall consumption was a bit higher; it depletes the hybrid battery to boot, so in the end it will spend more to recharge it.

AutoStop while moving only makes sense in N. Maybe you could make N trigger FAS?
But TBH I would already be very happy if I could just hold AutoStop for longer at the lights without having to kill and restart the ventilation system. I'll keep my foot on the brakes no worries. I'd switch to N with pleasure. (That saves gas even if the engine does run BTW.)

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.