View Single Post
Old 03-28-2017, 02:04 PM   #176 (permalink)
RustyLugNut
Master EcoModder

Thanks for that link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air-Hybrid View Post
I have looked at Water Injection as well and this guy seems to have nailed why it works, as well as how it works.
maxxTORQUE: Pre-Turbo Diesel Water Injection

WI lowers NOx formation but increases particulates and other products of incomplete combustion. I think free hydrogen (or syngas) does the opposite.

The methanol in water-meth injection has an added advantage that it is also an oxygen carrier, but the cooling effects of WI should keep temps low, to lessen NOx formation.

Forgetting HHO for now, what happens if I inject water (vapour) and hydrogen (elemental H2) together in smallish amounts on say, a big rig?
Keeping with the topic at hand, the link author misses a few points that pertain to HHO. Water does dissociate. Even at room temperature. That's why it has a pH. Look it up.

This is the problem, Brown's Gas or HHO as produced in a crude electrolysis cell is producing copious amounts of water vapor and trace amounts of ozone along with the H2 and O2. This affects combustion in complex ways. Nothing that will get you "double your mileage" but there is an effect.

The idea of small amounts of dry H2 and water vapor is an intriguing idea.