View Single Post
Old 03-30-2017, 05:56 PM   #59 (permalink)
thingstodo
Master EcoModder

Ford Prefect - '18 Ford F150 XLT XTR

Tess - '22 Tesla Y LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaroldinCR View Post
Is there a latest parts list or parts pkg that would go with Paul's controller board ? I don't think I need any power components if I use OEM recovered parts ?
The power components should work in the OEM drives. The only things I can think of would be to provide a power supply for Paul's controller, and to ensure that your battery voltage is not higher than the OEM controller was designed for. Paul's controller has been tested to 400V. My first AC controller was tested using a 405V bus. The control boards (2) I will be using on 350V for the first one, then a 900V bus on the second one. But I'm slow and have still to get my Mazda conversion on the road, so it will be a while.

Paul's controller board - bare board https://www.ecwid.com/store/pandspow...egory=16287307

For programming I used a PICKIT III. That's for the PIC on the controller. The regulator is an ATtiny and Paul lists a avrisp mkii to program that.

I don't see a kit package for the PIC, the resistors, caps, connectors, etc in the store. I'm not sure if he's still working on the kit. When I originally asked, I think he sent me a link to his shopping cart for the AC controller. I mentioned that my complete AC Controller is serial #2, so things have changed quite a bit. I don't think that parts list will help you. He's using more surface mount stuff than through-hole stuff now. So I guess I can't help you with the parts list

If you are not confident soldering, I would suggest the pre-built board. At least for your first one. When you are not confident, and things don't work immediately ... it could be your soldering, or your cables, or your motor, or your programmer ... it's tough to troubleshoot and get the first one running. After the first one is running, you can solder a new board, then swap it into a running system (on your bench) and it is easier to figure out what may be wrong.

Quote:
Hope this helps someone figure out how the controller needs to be built for a SR motor:

Switched-reluctance drive basics

A typical switched-reluctance setup includes four components — the motor, a power converter, a logic circuit, and sensors. Power converters for switched-reluctance motors require only one switch in series per phase windings because the torque is independent of current polarity. Each phase is independent, so the failure of one does not bring the whole motor down. There are a few types of converters:

stepper-drives-FAQ-11-motor-reluctance-1-2
This is an example asymmetric bridge converter for three phases.
Asymmetric bridge converters involve turning on two switches per phase. If the current gets too high, these switches are turned off.

This configuration stores energy in the motor’s phase windings to keep current flowing in the same direction until it depletes.

(n+1) switches and diodes are more efficient than asymmetric bridge converters.

This is because this configuration allows the power devices to share switch operation. (n+1) does have restricted control when phases overlap, however.

stepper-drives-FAQ-11-motor-reluctance-1-3
This configuration is known as (n+1) switches and diodes because there are three phases but four switches and four diodes.
Bifilar drives contain bifilar windings. Bifilar refers to two wires wound around a common core.

Inserting these windings allows the circuit to restore magnetic energy. The voltage in the switches can be much higher than that of the voltage source. However, bifilar windings are complex.

A C-dump converter also recovers energy. It contains a capacitor the can resend stored magnetic energy back to the DC source. This setup uses a minimal amount of power switches which allows independent phase control.

However, there is a drawback of limited commutation because of the voltage difference between the capacitor and the supply. Any energy circulating between the capacitor and the connection causes additional losses in the switched-reluctance motor itself.

stepper-drives-FAQ-11-motor-reluctance-1-4
The bifilar windings shown here restore magnetic energy.
Sensors are another component of switched-reluctance motor drives. These can come as a variety of encoders.

There were images/schematics of the mentioned paragraphing, but, they didn't come over.

Link to where I found this info.
Is this a pure switched relutcance motor? The ones that Toyota were using kinda started as induction motors, when the switched reluctance torque was not very large and the control became more complex as the motor sped up. At top speed it was more switched reluctance than induction.

Did I get that right freebeard?