View Single Post
Old 04-14-2017, 10:48 PM   #19 (permalink)
rmay635703
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by schunter1969 View Post
Fat Charlie you must not have any basic understand of how a combustion engine works... which explains your duct tape and card board

With this done you can be cruising at 1,500 rpms going 70mph and get 80+mpg. I am not making up these numbers, again this is well documented BEFORE even doing any aero mods.

While at the same time when I come up to Fat Charlie's duct tape/card board car cruising at 50mph Ill drop it into 4th and fly by with the new capabilities of my car. Also I be leaving you a black cloud of smoke because my Jetta will be a 3" straight pipe from turbo down pipe to tip of my exhaust! None of that catalytic converter nonsense.

Fat Charlie how about you educate yourself before making another uneducated comment on vehicles. You can be the most efficient driver but at the end of the day you are going to plateau when you reach the max capabilities of your motor and drivetrain. All the duct tape and card board in the world isn't going to change that.

Fat Charlie you compared building an efficient car to playing the guitar???

TDI's are expensive car to own if you do not do the maintenance and work yourself.
TDIs of the last 20 years are expensive even when you do the work, the parts run more $$$ and get replaced more often. (My father owned one)
To say money pit is an understatement .

If you want a TDI stick with a 1994, it's the cheapest to run.

As for uneducated get your 80mpg ALH TDI running and keep a fuel log here.
Educate us and prove us wrong with data.
You can also look for cars identical to what you propose, many here have owned or modd'd TDIs in their past, their garage entries (or fuelly ) and conditions they drove in are usually there as well.

You may find why we have a disclaimer here about claims, especially those made on the internet about intakes exhaust and turbos which usually gain less than 5% in the real world. (Many reduce efficiency)

Further that up to 90% of the energy needed to move a car is to displace air as you move, your arguments on splitting hairs with gaining a few percent with a turbo fall flat with me.

A TDI gains FE from gearing despite the turbo so no argument there.

I recommend reading about the VW Lupo which actually does what you want, it can do what you want with or without a turbo.

Last edited by rmay635703; 04-14-2017 at 10:56 PM..