View Single Post
Old 04-17-2017, 04:26 PM   #17 (permalink)
darcane

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
The increase in deaths was on highways with the increased limits, ditto the causation correlation though. Very possible roads with higher limits are more travelled.

Our state has increased road funding 20% year over year just by increasing limits, miles traveled have only gone up marginally,
so increasing speed limits is very effective at raising gas use and taxes.

I think texting is more dangerous at speed, I've been staying off primary highways as much as possible lately.

Until the last year I've never had to watch the rear view mirror constantly but zombie drivers are multiplying.
The small increase in speed limits seems to correlate to much higher actual speeds.
Have there been any studies showing the causation?

Most of the studies I've read regarding highway speed limits show that increasing a speed limit that was set lower than the prevailing speeds most drivers drive at will increase compliance but not increase the average speed of drivers. Variation in speed is reduced, and the higher the deviation from the average speed, the higher the risk of a collision. As such, studies typically show no change in fatal collisions or a reduction.
For example: Speed Doesn’t Kill - The Repeal of the 55-MPH Speed Limit

I would be more than a little surprised if the higher fatality rates are linked to higher PSLs on highways.

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods