View Single Post
Old 04-19-2017, 07:43 AM   #53 (permalink)
aardvarcus
Master EcoModder

Deep Blue - '94 GMC Suburban K2500 SLE
90 day: 23.75 mpg (US)

Griffin (T4R) - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5
90 day: 25.43 mpg (US)
I am getting ramped up to put the powertrain into the Suburban and get it on the road. I have the next two Saturdays lined up (assuming nothing else pressing comes up) to work on it, and am also trying to spend a few hours in the evenings on it. Should be doable if I can stay on task, I am ready to have this thing on the road.

Last night I got the motor mounts rebuilt with polyurethane inserts, my press made it easy. I used 3/16 aluminum rivets instead of the included zip ties for reassembly, keeps it tight until the bolts to the frame are installed. The reassembled clamshells are about a tenth of a pound heavier than they were with the rubber inserts.

I ordered some cross linked polyethylene foam and high temperature acrylic tape to do the inside firewall insulation. I need to go ahead and get the exterior firewall insulation done as that will be a holdup for dropping the new engine in. Recent rains have kept me from doing that outside so it’s about time to roll the patient back into the operating room.

I have been collecting lots of electrical supplies, I plan to do a combination of reusing some of the stock wiring but some things will be added (i.e. electric fans), replaced (i.e. fuse box to RFRM), or redesigned (i.e. glow plug controller to relays). Ordered parts to basically replace the entire AC system, going from dual zone to single zone and I am unsure of the condition of the stock pieces with this much age on them. Need to have the AC working well in this thing, but hope adding insulation will limit the need to run it.