Thread: Honda Green Oil
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2017, 10:32 AM   #19 (permalink)
brucepick
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
I'm intrigued by the possibility of using Honda Green oil in my Insight.

For my purposes, I've solved the need for variable grill blocking. I can block the grill optimally for temps down to sub-freezing. I check my phone's weather app for current and anticipated temperatures before I set out, and insert the appropriate grill block into my grill as needed.

I have three different sheets of coroplast that I've trimmed to different sizes, that fit between the a/c condenser and the radiator - in my car, one is in front of the other. Each sheet is marked for the max outside temp I can use it up to.

Observing my coolant temp on the ScanGauge lets me know when coolant temperatures are getting too high, for whatever grill block is in place at the time. Then I check my phone's weather app to find the outside temperature. Once I have a good peg on how hot the ambient air can safely get for a given sheet of grill block, I mark it with a permanent marker.

I also have most of my upper grill blocked with built up layers of foam window weather stripping. I think most folks here block the lower grill but I went for the upper. Air going through the lower grill has a smoother path to exit the engine bay. Less turbulence, less drag.

Last edited by brucepick; 04-20-2017 at 11:14 AM..