View Single Post
Old 05-30-2017, 08:02 PM   #93 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BongoBennie View Post
OK, I have been back to this thread a million times for the charts, may as well post my set up here. I have an 01 insight 5 speed. apparently the FD is swappable with the 01-05 D17 gear boxes. I want to swap the D17 with HX trans and Insight 3.2 FD. Engine will be turbocharged and I estimate a 200whp output. Turbo is Garrett GT2554r. Tires 175/50/16 HP summer Yokohama. I will have plenty of power but I also want to hypermile the car on my commute. At 2350 rpm I will be at 70mph. My only question is will the RPM be too low for cruising and light acceleration. Car will weigh less than 1900lbs If this works out well I might try a D15 de-stroker.
I think the answer to your question is "no." Even though it is a turbo charged engine 2350 rpm and light acceleration or cruise should never present a lugging problem. My car is of course NA and does not lug at 1500 and 80% engine load. A turbo might be different. I am assuming your are wondering about lugging. I would wonder about WOT at 2300 rpm when you have a 200hp turbo set up under the hood. Maybe that comes closer to lugging. I still kinda doubt it.

Do I understand your post correctly? You will have an Insight engine with turbo and a D17 HX trans with the Insight FD swapped in? You get that lovely light weight because you took the IMA batter out?

Great power/weight ratio. Nice sleeper. If this is an Insight body, you are going to surprise a few people at the stop lights. The bigger wheels would make me "suspicious," but most would not notice, I bet.

BTW, does this car have a build thread somewhere? How do you know the FD swaps? Post some pics, eh?
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.