View Single Post
Old 08-18-2008, 12:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
metromizer
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince-HX View Post
thanks

And thats a great looking setup you have there. What does it power? And the manifold looks really good, pretty close to EL, good for NA. Any more pix, times?
thanks. It goes in my '68 VW fastback, hot VW's did a 4 page spread and put it on the cover in June 2003. That engine is a real peice of work, all top of the line stuff, would cost close to $14k to reproduce, stuffed in to a <more-or-less> stock 1600 case! The heads are almost one-off's <not pretty but guys who know engines understand> 14:1 compression, Ti valves, custom Crower rocker set up, blah, blah, blah. The intake tract is huge, i never tried, but I think I could drop a golf ball downt he manifold I'll upload more pix if I can figure out how to resize them. Fast ET on that car is 10.40 @ 129mph. Not bad, but the record in that class is a 10.1something with a couple of 9.9xx's have been run last season.

Quote:
Making a header/manifold on a Vw/suby style engine is not fun. Compared to an inline 4 they are the devil, haha. It does sound like you got quite a good deal
Mark Lelchuck of Performance Welding Racing Headers did it for me... he made it look so easy, but I know it's not. I wish I had a begger picture, that one really doesn't do it justice. I don't know about inlines being easy... some of those fwd turbo headers must fit in pretty tight quarters.

Quote:
One of my next projects is to build a twinscroll T3 manifold for a buddy of mine to go in his 10 sec bug. He is looking to turn out about 300hp and its a fully built 2276.
300hp is NO problem from a turbo'd 2276. Guys get that from little 1915's if they really squeeze them (Dave and Judy Kawell, The Lauffer's at VW Paradise, Marty Staggs). Don't laugh, but I am getting 300hp out of my NA 2600cc Super Street engine (the one pictured), but that is after so much work you wouldn't believe it if I told you. and of course mine is nothing close to what you'd call 'streetable'.

Quote:
everyone loves pix
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vegas_launch_3-15-03.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	1530  

Last edited by metromizer; 08-25-2008 at 09:04 PM.. Reason: added pix