Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2008, 09:35 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Civic - '98 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 41.44 mpg (US)
I have a mitsubishi TD05H from a first gen talon if you would be interested...just pm me.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-08-2008, 10:48 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Guzzler - '08 Hyundai Elantra GL
90 day: 33.12 mpg (US)

Got Soul? - '11 Kia Soul 2U
I'd say small is best for a 1.6 gasser shooting for 175 hp. You want that thing to spool fast. This turbo can probably deliver full boost from around 2000 rpm if needed. That thing is gonna be fun to drive on the street.

I have pushed 24 psi at the outlet of my kkk03 in my TDI. I don't know the A/R from the top of my head, but it's probably a tad smaller than this turbo (it's a GT15 right? But Garrett makes the GT12 too).

Granted it was only up to 3500 rpm, but I've run 20 psi up to 5000 rpm.

I don't do that anymore though, right foot keeps it below 10 psi.

www.HyperKilometreur.com - Quand chaque goutte compte...
Old 08-12-2008, 04:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

That's pretty cool stuff you get to work on all day.

I helped the fabricator build my last race header... a pro makes it look so easy but we had to fit it to my car and my particular engine and around the carbs and distributor. I supplied all the 304 tubing and solar flux (from SPD), 4-1 collector with tunable venturis and megaphone (Burns Stainless), and made my own flanges. It still cost $400 labor, and I felt like I got a deal.

Nice looking welds BTW, you can call yourself a welder anytime.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vegas05 geoff and motor.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	1421  
Old 08-12-2008, 05:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
Ecoformance Engineer

EJ7 - '96 honda civic Hx
Last 3: 58.02 mpg (US)
thanks

And thats a great looking setup you have there. What does it power? And the manifold looks really good, pretty close to EL, good for NA. Any more pix, times?

Making a header/manifold on a Vw/suby style engine is not fun. Compared to an inline 4 they are the devil, haha. It does sound like you got quite a good deal

One of my next projects is to build a twinscroll T3 manifold for a buddy of mine to go in his 10 sec bug. He is looking to turn out about 300hp and its a fully built 2276.

I even have a fully built 2 liter in my bus right now. It decided to eat a air cleaner stud nut @ 5,000 rpm on the freeway and I think it now has a hole in the piston but I haven't had the heart to take it apart yet If the engine can be salvaged with minimal $$$ it will become my dune buggy's motor-vation.

That whole incident kinda turned me off to aircooled so that why this winter a turbo honda engine and tranny will find its way into the bus.

everyone loves pix

70 mpg or die modding

www.full-race.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
looking forward to seeing what kind of uber-sipper slinks out of the full race skunkworks.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince-HX View Post
thanks

And thats a great looking setup you have there. What does it power? And the manifold looks really good, pretty close to EL, good for NA. Any more pix, times?
thanks. It goes in my '68 VW fastback, hot VW's did a 4 page spread and put it on the cover in June 2003. That engine is a real peice of work, all top of the line stuff, would cost close to $14k to reproduce, stuffed in to a <more-or-less> stock 1600 case! The heads are almost one-off's <not pretty but guys who know engines understand> 14:1 compression, Ti valves, custom Crower rocker set up, blah, blah, blah. The intake tract is huge, i never tried, but I think I could drop a golf ball downt he manifold I'll upload more pix if I can figure out how to resize them. Fast ET on that car is 10.40 @ 129mph. Not bad, but the record in that class is a 10.1something with a couple of 9.9xx's have been run last season.

Quote:
Making a header/manifold on a Vw/suby style engine is not fun. Compared to an inline 4 they are the devil, haha. It does sound like you got quite a good deal
Mark Lelchuck of Performance Welding Racing Headers did it for me... he made it look so easy, but I know it's not. I wish I had a begger picture, that one really doesn't do it justice. I don't know about inlines being easy... some of those fwd turbo headers must fit in pretty tight quarters.

Quote:
One of my next projects is to build a twinscroll T3 manifold for a buddy of mine to go in his 10 sec bug. He is looking to turn out about 300hp and its a fully built 2276.
300hp is NO problem from a turbo'd 2276. Guys get that from little 1915's if they really squeeze them (Dave and Judy Kawell, The Lauffer's at VW Paradise, Marty Staggs). Don't laugh, but I am getting 300hp out of my NA 2600cc Super Street engine (the one pictured), but that is after so much work you wouldn't believe it if I told you. and of course mine is nothing close to what you'd call 'streetable'.

Quote:
everyone loves pix

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vegas_launch_3-15-03.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	1530  

Last edited by metromizer; 08-25-2008 at 09:04 PM.. Reason: added pix
Reply  Post New Thread