View Single Post
Old 06-16-2017, 11:22 PM   #267 (permalink)
ChopStix
Primer is still paint!

85 Chevy Pickup C10 - '85 Chevy C10
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The BGW kit supplies 80% of a usable boat tail. All it needs is a wickerbill and a diffuser.
Ok lets walk through this. Do you have a picture of the proposed Wickerbill on a sedan delivery beetle? Or something for visual reference?

Diffuser - In simple terms, I know diffuser's as a air director mounted under the rear end of road race cars, to allow ducted air under the vehicle to expand as it exits from under the vehicle. This in turn creates down force from how the air expands as it exits.

So my concern is these issues:
  • Rear engine car with a couple inch oil pan sump that hangs below the floor board, and how this will work with the above
  • Cooling the engine, and adding back the air ducts lost from the delivery shell addition
  • Venting the rear fender scooping effect without cutting off, or drilling holes in the rear fenders
  • Exhaust tucked under the rear apron getting in the way of the above

On the cooling problem. I've been pondering the concept of ducting air from the rear fenders into the engine compartment. Then discharging it out the back. So the concept of using a diffuser would benefit this effort by providing an air exit point.

But there's SO MUCH under the rear end of these cars I'm not sure there's enough real estate to fit everything. Plus I would have a EFI 2161 stroker motor. So the oil pan will be deeper than stock, and full flow with an oil cooler, and external mounted filter. (even more real estate required) So I''m not confident that all of this is possible given the constraints.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	73_n.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	22008