View Single Post
Old 06-17-2017, 06:41 AM   #37 (permalink)
gregsfc
EcoModding Apprentice

This is going to be an amazing event; especially if all the contenders show up as expected!! I'd like to see one or more of the liquid-fueled machines break the 200 mark; regardless of cost/mile outcome. I'm not rooting for any individual or technique or technology. I'm rooting for them all to do their best ever. I think this could be the year for it! If we get good weather, and we have the normal amount of slow downs as is usually the case at the mid-Ohio; then the results this year ought to be very interesting and exciting.

I hope everyone is expected is able to come in and have no mechanical or other issues, and give us their best scores as their bikes and riding style will allow.

In 2014 (the year I attended), Fred's stock-like diesel bike, running biodiesel blend, was on track to achieve almost 140 mpg. Truly amazing for anyone who has seen that bike and knows it's approximate weight, drag, etc.; and probably about a 3% fuel density penalty to boot versus dino diesel. The price of diesel fuel should also be favorable this year as compared to most years when Fred was competing before, but some of that will depend on that particular gas station, on July 8, and what mark up that station owner charges for diesel fuel, since it's less price competitive.

We should have at least three electrics who can go the distance; and how they finish against each other and against the liquid fuelers will be truly exciting. Even if they dominate versus the liquid-fueled machines, that won't temper my excitement of the liquid fuelers and how they finish, because for me, even though I'd one day want to do all my traveling via electric propulsion, that technology is not yet down to my income or practicality level; and so improvement in both ICE and e-bike technologies are equally exciting to me.

And then the most interesting aspect of the competition this year for me will be how well Bschloop's CBR250 streamliner will stack up against Vic and Alan; and even Fred, because we've not seen what the Honda 250 can do yet, fully streamlined. Or, at least we haven't to my knowledge.

See everyone there.