Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2017, 08:57 AM   #31 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bschloop View Post
I've missed a couple of years now, but I just confirmed that I will be there this year with my just finished cbr 250 streamliner. I wasn't sure that I'd make the grocery requirement, but it looks like they will fit.

In answer to the engine size question, my last bike was a 185, and I kept up just fine. Properly streamlined, a 125 would be more than fast enough.
Got any pictures of the finished project?

I remember some of it, but don't recall how far you went with the streamlining.

Best of luck at the competition.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-14-2017, 08:31 PM   #32 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

You're plenty smart. I'll explain it better. A 600 cc engine turning at 5000 rpm will pump as much air/fuel mixture as a 300cc engine turning at 10,000 rpm. An engine with a compression ratio of 8:1 is less efficient than an engine with a 12:1 compression ratio.

bschloop, Did you build a velomobiles with the thought of selling them? If so check out velosRus.com aka Carolina on recumbents.com as he is making velomobiles uni-bodies.

Last edited by Grant-53; 06-14-2017 at 09:05 PM..
Old 06-15-2017, 06:39 AM   #33 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant-53 View Post
You're plenty smart. I'll explain it better. A 600 cc engine turning at 5000 rpm will pump as much air/fuel mixture as a 300cc engine turning at 10,000 rpm. An engine with a compression ratio of 8:1 is less efficient than an engine with a 12:1 compression ratio.

bschloop, Did you build a velomobiles with the thought of selling them? If so check out velosRus.com aka Carolina on recumbents.com as he is making velomobiles uni-bodies.
I guess also that's not a cut and dry answer. Rider weight/bulk and other factors could also play into whether a 125 could make the ride w/o getting passed. The one time I rode, I felt like if one can get up and stay up near the front, the better off he or she is with respect to not having the sling shot effect, but everyone can't be in the front.

Wow bschlop. Is this a fully streamlined machine you're going to show up on?
Old 06-15-2017, 07:31 AM   #34 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

sr185 bullet - '81 Yamaha SR185 streamliner
Team Streamliner
90 day: 96.35 mpg (US)

Sunny Colarado - '06 Chevrolet Colarado WT
90 day: 24.18 mpg (US)

cbr250s - '12 Honda cbr250
90 day: 115.29 mpg (US)
Grant53 I have no plans and at this time to sell fairings.
My bike is pretty much fully streamlined
I'll have pics this evening after I finish primer.

I rode near the back of the pack with my Yamaha. 15 hp was more than enough power on the freeway. The big issue is gearing. If you have a small bike it needs to have changeable sprockets so that you can find the optimal ratio. Mass makes a difference only in uphill starting, or rapid acceleration. Of course all of this assumes that the bike is fully streamlined.
The Following User Says Thank You to bschloop For This Useful Post:
Grant-53 (06-19-2017)
Old 06-16-2017, 06:29 AM   #35 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

sr185 bullet - '81 Yamaha SR185 streamliner
Team Streamliner
90 day: 96.35 mpg (US)

Sunny Colarado - '06 Chevrolet Colarado WT
90 day: 24.18 mpg (US)

cbr250s - '12 Honda cbr250
90 day: 115.29 mpg (US)
Photos

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bschloop For This Useful Post:
Grant-53 (06-16-2017), gregsfc (06-17-2017), jkv357 (06-16-2017), sendler (06-16-2017)
Old 06-16-2017, 10:08 AM   #36 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Yes, there is the power side and the resistance factors: wind resistance, rolling resistance, and mass. Rider position affects cross section area. Cyclists use a pace line to take turns breaking the wind and drafting.
The Following User Says Thank You to Grant-53 For This Useful Post:
gregsfc (06-17-2017)
Old 06-17-2017, 06:41 AM   #37 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

This is going to be an amazing event; especially if all the contenders show up as expected!! I'd like to see one or more of the liquid-fueled machines break the 200 mark; regardless of cost/mile outcome. I'm not rooting for any individual or technique or technology. I'm rooting for them all to do their best ever. I think this could be the year for it! If we get good weather, and we have the normal amount of slow downs as is usually the case at the mid-Ohio; then the results this year ought to be very interesting and exciting.

I hope everyone is expected is able to come in and have no mechanical or other issues, and give us their best scores as their bikes and riding style will allow.

In 2014 (the year I attended), Fred's stock-like diesel bike, running biodiesel blend, was on track to achieve almost 140 mpg. Truly amazing for anyone who has seen that bike and knows it's approximate weight, drag, etc.; and probably about a 3% fuel density penalty to boot versus dino diesel. The price of diesel fuel should also be favorable this year as compared to most years when Fred was competing before, but some of that will depend on that particular gas station, on July 8, and what mark up that station owner charges for diesel fuel, since it's less price competitive.

We should have at least three electrics who can go the distance; and how they finish against each other and against the liquid fuelers will be truly exciting. Even if they dominate versus the liquid-fueled machines, that won't temper my excitement of the liquid fuelers and how they finish, because for me, even though I'd one day want to do all my traveling via electric propulsion, that technology is not yet down to my income or practicality level; and so improvement in both ICE and e-bike technologies are equally exciting to me.

And then the most interesting aspect of the competition this year for me will be how well Bschloop's CBR250 streamliner will stack up against Vic and Alan; and even Fred, because we've not seen what the Honda 250 can do yet, fully streamlined. Or, at least we haven't to my knowledge.

See everyone there.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:09 AM   #38 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

@ Bschloop. Unless one of your goals is to shock the top contenders when you show up with this possible winning bike, you may want to let Kraig know you're coming and send him a picture to his email. He'll probably give you a chance for an interview and include you as part of the promotion of the event if he knows you're coming. He'll also add you to his list of ICE-powered entries over on his website that highlights the upcoming event.

Like Sendler says; no registration is required, but if you want a little more attention for your efforts, you can let him know in advance at the following link and click "contact" with the subheading "share ideas"; he's also got a phone number on there if you'd rather call him.

Schultz Engineering - Custom Motorcycle Parts and Renewable Energy Products

On a related note, Kraig says that a motion picture crew will be traveling with Craig Vetter and that we should all have our bikes looking good and be prepared to possibly be in part of a movie being made about Craig's life.
Old 06-18-2017, 06:38 AM   #39 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I've been doing some spying. I wanted to see if I could find Bschloop anywhere on the web, and I found where you finished 4th at the 2012 event on that SR185 and I found pictures of that bike at a photo website. You actually finished 3rd as a measure of mpg, behind Fred's streamliner and Vic's streamliner, but something odd was going on that year that must have caused a spike in gasoline prices, because diesel was cheaper. And so Fred's second bike, the more stock-like bike finished slightly ahead of you as a cost/mile basis but a couple of mpg behind you.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:35 PM   #40 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

We are all glad to see Craig back in Ohio. I hope that crash protection and avoidance will be part of our thinking as we design and build.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Grant-53 For This Useful Post:
bschloop (06-20-2017), gregsfc (06-20-2017), jkv357 (06-19-2017)
Reply  Post New Thread